Anyone used this place?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vet4Coins, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Vet4Coins

Vet4Coins Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

One thing: watch carefully their Shipping & Handling prices. They are well above industry norms and they DO NOT offer "combined shipping". You can very quickly run up a ridiculous amount in S&H. Keep in mind the 15% buyer's fee also.

calcol likes this.
  4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

They make it sound like they are some kind of official agency. But they are not. They are a private business with a catchy name.

Their FAQ says "Only Federal Asset Recovery Services can list items on its official Web site "SeizedPropertyAuctions.com"."...

Federal Asset Recovery Services is the same business as SeizedPropertyAuctions.com! Later on in the FAQ:

"Are you a government agency?
    Federal Asset Recovery Services and its official Web site "SeizedPropertyAuctions.com" is a private corporation which specializes in liquidating assets of all types. We extend our expertise and services to state and federal agencies, local municipalities, police departments, lending institutions, the business and legal communities, and the general public."

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. JMGallego

JMGallego Active Member

Pass too. Please read their terms, including their shipping charges as already mentioned above.

7. Vet4Coins

Vet4Coins Member

Thank you and sorry for posting in the wrong place!

8. JMGallego

JMGallego Active Member

No need to apologize. You brought up something that many of us do not do before bidding, and that is to read the terms in auctions because we assume they are "standard" terms.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Note that I'm not saying never buy from them, I am saying

• Know EXACTLY what you are bidding on
    • Know what it's worth
    • Be careful bidding from photos - many flaws aren't clearly visible
    • Be aware of ALL of the add-ons and charges that you will incur
    • Be aware that others will succumb to auction fever and bid moon money for junk - don't chase it beyond what it's worth
    • There are - somewhere between very, very rarely and occasionally - good values to be found

But I would say the exact same things about Heritage's or Stack's auctions...

green18 and Santinidollar like this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

...or Silvertowne Auctions, or Bid-A-Lot, etc.. The key with ANY auction is to establish a top bid you'll make on an item and have the discipline to stick to it no matter what.

Streetcars - another one comes along soon.

harrync likes this.
  11. JMGallego

JMGallego Active Member

Very good points, in the case of SeizedPropertyAuctions.com, or any other auction company, for that matter, one should to consider
    • the cost of the lot,
    • the Internet Premium (IP),
    • any taxes,
    • insurance
    • shipping and handling

... before pressing the bid button.

I have seen very nice coins at SeizedPropertyAuctions.com, as well as others like Seized Assets Auctioneers, but their shipping has killed the value I see for those coin every time. Each coin you win has an additional $12.95 or thereabouts for shipping. Call me cheap, but for, say, $15 coin (and valued at the price), $12.95 may be too much. However, when you are talking for high end, high value coins, $12.95 is nothing.

It really is up to you how much, total, you are willing to pay.

For me, I have passed, so far, 'cause I have not found the right one for me... :shame:

12. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Member

I've seen as high as 30% buyers premium and emailed saying I will bid but will not pay anymore than. 10% buyers premium and as long as it was before the sale ...they agreed and agreed to ship collectively and cheapest way possible with insurance.

Draft saved Draft deleted