Anyone use an Antique safe?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RedRaider, Jul 5, 2013.

1. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

I picked up a pretty cool antique safe (Victor) yesterday. Its not huge, but it took 2 big people to get it in place in my home (probably weighs between 400-500lbs. I was wondering if anyone here uses something like this to store their valuables? Im curious to know what people think of them as a means of storing their valuables.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I do and I think they are great. Mines heavy and seems solid. I don't see anyone getting away with my valuables anytime soon with it

4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

As long as the insides are a metal sheet and there is no white/gray dust coming out of seams or joints. It should be ok as the older safes were filled with asbestos as the fire retardant or it is mixed in to the cement. Most no lock/safe shops selling old ones claim stupidity about the dangers of the asbestos. It can create big problems as to clean up disposal and the cost if it is leaking asbestos and you clean it up with a normal vac or broom and wet rags.

5. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

The seams are nice and the metal inside is not compromised. Here is a pic of the outside. Im going to restore it at some point. I think it will be a fun project. safe1.jpg safe6.jpg

sonlarson likes this.
  6. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

That's all that counts, if you have the brand you can get the correct color paint and the stripping and have decals made up over even a vinyl sticker decal if your not a purist.

Draft saved Draft deleted