Anyone under 30 years old?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Dec 9, 2015.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Tell the truth Chris, it was kids day and the other kids were all 8.:p:p:p

Sallent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Do you have an underground safe protected by a moat and a security guard,and a ridiculously sounding horn, just like Jack Benny? I've been a huge fan of Jack Benny since I discovered Old Time Radio during my L-1 year of law school. If it wasn't for Jack Benny, Abbot and Costello, and Bob Hope, I don't know how I would have gotten by with all that stress. Those shows would do wonders on me after a stressful and tedious 12 hour study session.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I was the only kid under 16 that they allowed in the poolroom because I could beat all of the regulars. Besides, that was 1959, and poolrooms were not considered the best place to be. Not even the movie theater had a "Kid's Day" back then. The Saturday matinee twin-bill was only 10c.

Chris

Mikey Zee and Carthago like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I don't have all that stuff but I did pick up a boxed DVD set of his TV show a few years back, what a riot.

Sallent likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

What! You didn't watch George Burns and Gracie Allen?

Chris

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

That's great! Our local pool hall had a house of ill repute over top it and that was in Ct. Half the cops in town visited it so there was no problem. I was never allowed in but I was tending bar at 17. I did not get taught pool until I was 16 by a very good shot. I learned on an 18 ounce cue and still have it. Matinee's were 25 cents, the Drive In double features were 50 cents, comics were 12 cents ( I just missed the switch from 10 cents.) "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end".

Mikey Zee and Bing like this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I did listen to some of their late 30s and early 40s radio shows, but I've still yet to devote time to go through all their episodes. Very funny stuff! I'll have to dedicate some time towards their show. Maybe I'll play an episode or two tomorrow when I'm stuck in rush hour traffic.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

It's a lot better if you can get the TV versions. You have to see the expressions on their faces to really understand. FWIW, George and Gracie were husband & wife in real life, and her portrayal on TV wasn't very far from reality.

Chris

Sallent likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Good to see a number of young folks here. Who knows...I may need some coin heirs one day.....:pompous:

Sallent likes this.
  11. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I was under 30 three years ago. Does that count? :D

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not to mention those shows were live and most were never edited after they made it to tape and disc. Remember all the goof ups on the Red Skelton Show? "Goodnight small fry". "God Bless".

13. Santinidollar

Robber to Jack Benny: "Your money or your life!"
    Pause
    Robber: "Well???"
    Benny. "I'm thinking...."

tommyc03, Mikey Zee and Sallent like this.
  14. cpm9ball

You weren't allowed in what? The poolroom or the house of ill repute?

I didn't have a mentor at pool. I just had a natural talent for the game. I grew up on a 9' table. By the time I was 13, I could run 100+ balls in straight pool, and I played Willie Mosconi 4 times by the time I was 16.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I was hustling pool at 14-15 years old and did pretty well. Now I have a hard time seeing the balls. As far as the houses of ill repute, lets just say I was no stanger when I was shooting pool. The memories I have are great, but probably the actual events were not so.
    I guess I'm the opposite of my friend Doug. I would trade age in a heartbeat.

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and Carthago like this.
  16. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Lets all say horray for not being anywhere near as old as the coins we collect! :D

17. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

18. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

I seem to remember that every time Jack Benny had a birthday he turned 39. There has to be someone out there who keeps turning 29 each year. Please step forward so that we can heap praises or at least nominate you for a triumph.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Realize you don't get youth back as you had it but you would be young by today's terms.

Mikey Zee, Cucumbor and Bing like this.
  20. Santinidollar

My dad never got older than 39. That's how I learned about Benny.

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You're probably right, but just if I could be young and know what I've learned over all these decades, man what a time I could have (maybe).

tommyc03, Mikey Zee and Carthago like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted