Anyone Sell Coins of eBay?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, May 4, 2021.

1. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Sales still go directly into my paypal account. Am I missing something?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sand

sand Well-Known Member

I just tried catawiki, via my usual Chrome web browser, on my desktop computer. I was immediately greeted with the following dialog, at the bottom of the web page, which wouldn't allow me to do anything, unless I click "Agree" or click "Manage Cookies".

"We and our partners use cookies and similar technologies to analyse site performance, provide social media functionality and to deliver personalised commercial content on this and other websites. By clicking 'Agree', you consent to our Cookie Policy. You may change your settings anytime by clicking 'Manage cookies'."

I stopped right there. I almost never click on such things. It just seems unnecessary, and a waste of time, especially if I'm a potential customer who may want to buy something on the web site. I've seen this before, on some web sites. However, most major web sites, the sites that I like, such as Ebay, Amazon, CoinTalk, etc, don't do such things, if you just want to look at stuff on the web site. I don't like to be asked to agree to anything, just to look at a web site.

To the OP, to be more independent, you could create your own web site, and sell coins on that web site, via Pay Pal. I have purchased coins from such web sites, via Pay Pal, because I trust Pay Pal. With Pay Pal, I can pay the person, without having to click a single button, on the person's web site. To pay the person, I just go to Pay Pal, type in the person's email address that is designated for payments, and send the money via Pay Pal. The difficulty with having your own web site, of course, is advertising, but I imagine there are ways, for example via word of mouth on coin forums etc, as long as you follow the Coin Talk Rules for such things, and whatever the rules are on other coin forums.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  4. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

The cookie dialog is required by law for websites based in the EU. The site owners don't like it any better than you do but fines for noncompliance are stiff. You are not agreeing to anything that isn't done routinely by websites in the rest of the world without your permission. The only difference is that the EU requires explicit consent.

5. sand

sand Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information dltsrq. That's interesting. I didn't know that. I am always aware, that any web site I go to, may put cookies on my computer, and do any number of other things, like recording what I do within the web site, and sharing that information with other web sites, which doesn't bother me too much, although I'm not exactly thrilled about it. The next time I see such a dialog, I'll click on the "Cookie Policy" link, and see what it says.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted