Anyone seen an ancient coin like this??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by cannox, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cannox

cannox New Member

I got hold of this coin in among a large hoard of ancient coins I got many years ago. It has confounded me as the markings on it are like no other ancient coins I have seen before. has anyone got any idea of where / when it may originate?
    View attachment ancientcoin.pdf

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Sorry but a new person who's first post is to get me to click on a PDF file is not something I am going to do.

Set up a photobucket account and post the actual picture and I'll look.
    Others might do this if you wait also.

Either way welcome to CT

4. cannox

cannox New Member

5. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I know nothing about ancients but let me give you a hand with the images. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mani

mani Junior Member

it looks like kushan coin

7. cannox

cannox New Member

Thanks

Cheers.. I will follow up the Kushan lead..

8. Gao

Gao Member

I agree. Definitely looks like that.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

that was my first impression too, later kushan maybe :eek:

whats the size and weight?

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I believe its nickname is "octopus man" coinage. I cannot remember if its Kushan or NW Indian, but in that area of the world.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll disagree here. "Octopus Man" is usually used to refer to Raja Raja Chola attached below due to the pants style that looks like extra legs. I can't name this one offhand but agree it has Kushan leanings. What bothers me is most Kushan coins I know have more different figures on each side so I wonder if this is some sort of barbarous outback Kushan copy about which I know less than nothing. Another keyword to search on might be Kidarite which is where my mind goes when I see stick figures.

Attached Files:

12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Doug is correct. Its either the Kidarites, or one of the other tribes/kingdoms that succeeded the Kushans.

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes, Doug is right, but I thought this was a later derivative of the original Chola "octopus man" type. Just like the hunnic Indian imitation of Sassanid silver coins produced in the 9th century.

Draft saved Draft deleted