Anyone remember the Washington Senators?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Here is a really neat piece of exonumia that I actually forgot that I had....the Washington Nationals / Senators the National capital team from 1901- 1960. The team was called the Nationals until 1956, then refered to as the Senators begining in 1905.
    In 1961 the team moved to Minneapolis - St. Paul.and became the Minnesota Twins.
    A very unique pin that never made it to a pin but the pin looked like when struck in copper and not enamelled or pin back welded on .
    Ive been hunting the finished pin for years now, and trying to place an age on when it was made.
    It still shows a bright copper shine under its age. C:WINDOWSTempA269 - 20200705_100755.jpg C:WINDOWSTempA270 - 20200705_100807.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

After the original Washington Senators/Nationals left for Minnesota in 1961, a new expansion team was awarded to Washington DC the same year. The new Senators lasted until 1971 when it moved to Arlington, Texas and became the Texas Rangers. In 2004-5 the Montreal Expos moved the team to Washington DC and became the Washington Nationals........again.

4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

When I was very young, I remember them and they were awful, except for Frank Howard.

5. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Yep - remember them and Howard well. Lived in Balt. then, and saw them from .55-cent bleacher seats as a 'Junior Oriole' ;)

6. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

now the Orioles were great back then - Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Frank Howard, Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally, Mark Belanger, Paul Blair, Elrod Hendricks, Don Buford...

Beefer518 and jafo50 like this.
  7. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

they should do a 50 year commemorative coin of that team with a pose of Earl Weaver!

Jeffjay and nuMRmatist like this.
  8. Paddy54

I'm looking to date this piece it is a pressed piece not trimed or painted /enamelled, and no pin back, but the material it is made from I believe to be copper, I also believe it is an older pin ,as this would of been a more expensive pin ,compared to cheaper pins from cellulose, paper, tin,badges.

9. MaryK

MaryK Member

I grew up in Pompano Beach, Florida. I think they had their spring training there.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Washington — First in war, first in peace and last in the American League.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In 1958, I was a school patrol crossing guard. On "Patrol Day" we were taken to Griffith Stadium to watch a Senators game. I don't remember a damn thing about it!
    ~ Chris

ldhair and JCKTJK like this.
  12. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

my Dad took me to a few Senator games, Frank Howard was pretty much the only bright spot on the team also the Bullets games when Wes Unseld was a player, wow I am getting old!!, we sat next to Larry Brown (RB,Redskins) at one of the bullets games. We went to more Baltimore Oriole games, including two world series games, lots of great players there. :happy:

13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I had a copy of Douglass Wallop's novel The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant but I gave it to someone.

The book is about a Washington Senators fan who sells his soul to the Devil to win the Senators a Pennant (championship).

:)

14. cpm9ball

Anyone remember this? @Paddy54?
    1937 World Champion Washington Redskins
    1937 WORLD CHAMPION REDSKINS.JPG

JCKTJK likes this.
  15. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

The good old day's when everyone knew which bathroom to use!;)

charlie123 likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

ROFLMAO 1.gif ROFLMAO 2.gif ROFLMAO 3.jpg

17. Paddy54

A little before my time.but I do recall Baltimore having a pro sports team in every pro sport.
    Being a Jr. Orioles, the old Memorial Stadium , 15939742810501220358175.jpg

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Just before they left Washington, the original Senators had Harmon Killebrew, Jim Lemon and hard hitting rookie named Bob Allison who hit a lot of homeruns in his first season. They also had an excellent starting pitcher, Camilo Pascual.

Killebrew tied for the league lead in homeruns with something like 45, which was a good number in those days. Still they managed to finish last in the American League in 1959. The had the makings of a good team, and it jelled in the mid 1960s after they moved to Minneapolis – St. Paul.

Killebrew.jpg

JCKTJK likes this.
  19. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

When a Junior Oriole ? '69, '70, 71 here ...

20. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I sat next to Calvin Griffith at a Saint Paul Saints game several years after he had sold the Twins to the pohlad family. He was a classic baseball owner. He instructed the people that maintain Metropolitan Stadium to always leave enough room under the fence in the back of the stadium so that kids could sneak in. His philosophy was no kid should ever have to pay for a baseball game.
    As a baseball fan it is a fond memory to have talked to him.

21. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I witnessed many of those home runs.
    I have not seen a player yet that can hit a ball further than the killer could.

Draft saved Draft deleted