Anyone participated in today’s Prunier Auction?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by El Cazador, Feb 20, 2022.

1. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

Some fantastic Archaic Tetradrachms were sold

panzerman and rrdenarius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I was bidding but wasn't remotely close on anything. These obscure auctions are very hit or miss with being overpriced.

panzerman and El Cazador like this.
  4. El Cazador

@AncientJoe - spent morning watching it live and didn’t have a chance to place a bid… i was hoping since this was a smaller venue - prices would be reasonable… Boy i was wrong:( Some fantastic material though…

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    AncientJoe likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Seems to be hit or miss/ with auctions. However trends for past 20 years, high quality=high demand/ prices. Plus some of the more obscure auctions like Lansky/ Cambi/ Maison Palambo have some remarkable coins to bid on/ most are of the highest quality, which draws in the elite collectors. You really have to work hard to find 'sleeper" coins.
    John

El Cazador likes this.
  6. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

This auction was a true entertainment. It had everything: a theatrical act, a screaming auctioneer, inconsistent bidding increments, inaccurate cataloguing, wrong provenances, missed provenances, photos out of focus, 30% fees and of course all of your beloved US dealers and advisors. It even had a fake that sold quite well. Let's see if it ends up in one of the usual venues.

Curtisimo, Limes, Meander and 4 others like this.
  7. El Cazador

@pprp - the theatrical act was awesome! But most importantly, were you able to place any bids? While watching live, I hardly had a chance to place any bids due to the fast rising bids…which coin was fake?

panzerman likes this.
  8. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

What a showman !

E423FA37-B495-4055-9699-06C7D2F93F4F.jpeg

ADJUGÉ !!!!!

Limes and panzerman like this.
  9. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where to find results from this auction or the most recent one?
    It seems everything about this auction house is a bit.. difficult :/

10. El Cazador

If you go to the platform where the auction was conducted, you should be able to see the results (i was able to scroll through past lots and see the results, without 28.5% fee though, just hammer) I watched it live, but for me, unfortunately, there were no surprises - prices were extremely strong…with that said, the list of Syracuse Tetradrachms that they had and staters was, indeed, amazing

11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I would rather stick with CNG/ Roma/ Naumann/ Lansky:)
    Very high quality material/ strict grading/ lower fees/ beautifull auction catalogues.
    John

12. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

Please note that shipping of the lots is not possible. Successful bidders must either pick them up or arrange shipping via a third-party provider.

This statement confused me. I emailed and asked how I would be able have any coins I won shipped and received no response. I had an interest in several but didn't bid because of this.

13. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that but I'm glad I used a dealer in their most recent sale! I did buy one coin although I haven't seen an invoice or details on when it would be exported.

14. Iepto

Iepto Active Member

Did you buy a coin from the first sale? I've heard from some that their coins still haven't shown up, though I didn't win anything myself.

15. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

The reason I revived this thread is all of the above.

Due to the outstanding nature of some of the coins I still placed a pre-bid but it sure doesn’t seem like this outfit is easy to deal with

Draft saved Draft deleted