Anyone own a Mexico 1920/10 1 Peso?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Dec 15, 2014.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey all...just picked up a sweet group of Mexican silver, and I'm thinking I might have a 1920/10 overdate. While I edit the photos (and go back to take closeups of the date) - does anyone here own one or have some good photos of what I should be looking for? Google isn't playing nice...

So far, I'm seeing some split serifs at the bottom of the 1, what looks like shelf doubling on the inner loop of the 9, a faint vertical line inside the 2, and definite extras on the 0 - shadows on the bottom, and an unfinished loop on the upper left inside of the 0.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Sounds like a perfect match to the diagnostics on all 4 digits, nice find. I don't currently have one, but I've seen a couple examples. It looks similar to the 1920/10 overdate on the gold 20 peso coin, but with more prominent involvement of the 1 and 9.

4. stldanceartist

Oh...thank goodness. I'm working on the images right now...but also watching True Detective, so it's not going as fast as I'd like.

What else do you know about the date strikes on these 1 Peso coins? I have two 1925, one 1926, and one 1927 that have split serifs on the 1 of the date. I don't see any other mentions of overdates...just figured it was how Mexico did things back then (and then started to doubt the 1920/10 due to this.)

I'm guessing my 1920 would probably grade AU Details (old cleaning) if I sent it in...which would make today a happy world coin day.

5. stldanceartist

Here are the photos:

Mexico - 1920 1 Peso.jpg

Mexico - 1920 1 Peso - Date 3.jpg

Mexico - 1920 1 Peso - Date 2.jpg

Mexico - 1920 1 Peso - Date 1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. stldanceartist

The vertical bar in the 2 is visible only from certain angles, like it was mostly polished off. I'll work on getting better shots of it at a different angle.

7. Numismat

The incomplete top loop underlying the 0 is a clincher. Never really noticed the split serifs on the other dates, but I don't usually look too closely unless it's know to be a variety year.

8. stldanceartist

I like that. I like that very much.

I have the other dates on standby for 2x2's until I get closeups. Maybe super late tonight, or tomorrow morning. Thank you for your help! (an opinion I know I can trust)

9. Numismat

Glad to help, variety attribution can be very frustrating :)

10. stldanceartist

I usually can at least find ONE closeup of a world coin variety, whether it be a completed auction or PCGS/NGC Variety listens, or eBay...but for this...not much.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

12. stldanceartist

Here are the other dates:

1925 #1

Mexico - 1925 1 Peso 1 - Date.jpg

1925 #2

Mexico - 1925 1 Peso 2 - Date.jpg

Mexico - 1926 1 Peso 1 - Date 1.jpg

Mexico - 1927 1 Peso - Date.jpg

13. Numismat

Hm interesting. I can only guess that perhaps they used the same master die, just changed the second half of the date and sharpened up the first half.

14. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

15. stldanceartist

Scenario 1: Maybe there were separate employees for each digit in the date, and that guy was known for his sloppy, imprecise work.

Scenario 2: Maybe it's the same employee, but he has very specific ADHD in that he tends to lose focus at the beginning of a task, and improves by the end.

Scenario 3: Salma Hayek.

Numismat likes this.
  16. krispy

krispy krispy

I think it had more to do with the rapid(constant) debasement of the Peso and the working conditions of the day, chaotic, hand crafted and working to keep up with so many monetary reform changes. They must have been going through dies like crazy, and still recycling them! Look at all the die breaks reform-era coins have. Look how many types of Un Peso coins alone there are, and die varieties and mint branches that could produce them, share dies and so on. I think it was just a mess, but makes for some interesting collecting challenges, surprizes and results in some very characteristic coins for today's collectors.

Numismat likes this.
  17. kaosleeroy108

i will get them out

18. kaosleeroy108

look im sure you can get a roll of 70-100 bucks

Draft saved Draft deleted