Anyone Notice the New NGC Slab Label?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, May 20, 2024.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

A while back, PCGS came out with a new slab with a really cool feature - tap the slab with your phone, and it brings up the PCGS verification page for that coin. I loved it - but I collect a lot more NGC graded coins than PCGS for various reasons.

Just got a new coin today and noticed something cool. I didn't see any announcement, and I didn't see any threads on here talking about it. They've had a QR code to the reverse sticker. Admittedly slightly less convenient than the PCGS version, but it took my straight to the verification page. I could even directly add it to my Registry!

I think this is cool, and (although PCGS did it first) it is a good idea.

PXL_20240520_194512286.MP.jpg

masterswimmer, MIGuy, Vess1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Cool. I just got 5 coins back from NGC and didn't even notice the QR code until you mentioned it. Now I guess I'll have to load up the QR app on my phone. Time to call the nephew!

MIGuy likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

MIGuy, Lehigh96 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

If y'all don't have any of these stickers, feel free to scan the QR code and bring up my new coin. I've already added it to my Registry, so no worries there.

MIGuy likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

Dang, I had no idea it had been this long.

I just checked a batch of world coins I submittted around the New Year, and they did not have the new QR code.

So, it was announced without fanfare mid-last year, was not implemented widely in December, and is now implemented.

ddddd likes this.
  7. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

My last two submissions have had them and I remember reading about them. I find they are very friendly. Scan the QR code and it takes you right to the cert page!

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

NGC launched this at the ANA show last year. I have one of the same sample slabs shown above.

9. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

What NGC should really be changing is putting chips in their slabs. Everything else is pretty easily copied.

Cal

10. messydesk

I'm assuming PCGS has some patent(s) covering their, so there might be IP issues with them doing.

11. calcol

Any challenge-resistant patents won’t be held by PCGS but by companies like RSA or Duo (owned by Cisco) which sell the technology to anyone (credit card companies, bank debit cards and hard tokens, etc.) who want their items chipped. I imagine the patents of RSA and similar companies are broad enough to cover whatever items their chips may be placed on or in. Might be wrong, but I doubt PCGS can successfully claim exclusivity for chipping coin slabs. Doesn’t mean they won’t sue a company that tries it. NGC probably doesn’t yet feel counterfeiting of their slabs is serious enough to warrant the expense of chipping. There are a lot of choices if they decide to do it … from simple NFC chips that just spit out the cert. no. to uncrackable chips that have bluetooth capability.

Cal

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  12. messydesk

Putting a chip in the slab is part of it. Having an entire system that includes a remote app that reads the chip and further communicates with a server that decodes or decrypts the chip, queries a database to retrieve information and communicates with the app to present information about the coin is the rest. Other TPGs will tread lightly here.

13. calcol

Been done for years for chipped dogs and cats and other "objects".

Yup, fear of litigation may prevail even if victory is likely but not certain.

Cal

14. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I added it to my Registry too!!! Let's all do it! ;) [Narrator - he did not add it to his registry too!]

15. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I like the NGC arrangement better because it is much more secure. The problem with using a chip like PCGS does, is that there is no way to disable it aside from buying an RF blocking sleeve to put the slab inside. If the slab is shipped, the package is transmitting "steal me! steal me!" the entire journey unless the chip transmission is blocked.

16. calcol

Few corrections. The usual implementations of NFC, like used by PCGS, use inductive coupling for communication. The “waves” are magnetic, not electromagnetic (i.e. not RF). Typical range is less than 2 inches. And the slab is not continuously transmitting. It has to be near a transceiver like a phone in order to transmit. The inductive coupling is not only used for communication, but also for power. The phone acts as the primary side of a transformer, the slab as the secondary side.

The biggest risk of theft of a parcel is not whether it contains a NFC chip but the old fashioned things like address of sender, value stated on the package (if it’s there), and random theft.

Those concerned about security of a chipped slab, which can be legitimate in some circumstances, can use aluminum foil or any other metal covering. Or keep it in a container where it is no closer than 2 inches from the wall.

Visual security devices can be easily copied. And the average collector probably isn’t familiar with the finer points of the visual security devices on slabs. Lots of fake slabs on eBay and elsewhere, and the slabs are very close in appearance to the real thing. Properly done, a chip is very difficult to duplicate.

Cal

ZoidMeister and princeofwaldo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted