Anyone know what this Mexican coin is?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by joecoincollect, Apr 22, 2015.

1. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Not sure what this is, if it's medal/token/button etc. The reverse side with the eagle has a weird piece of metal on it. There's no value either, which makes me think it's not a coin. The edge is reeded. It looks fairly old, maybe brass.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joecoincollect

Sorry, here are the pics image.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. joecoincollect

5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Possibly it's a button off an Army uniform. There's no Maximilian coin that looks like that, see Krause KM #384 through #389; he only reigned for three years.

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Salesman sample of a button. I've seen them with different designs. Here is one that was posted to a different forum some time ago: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=93834

If the prospective buyer was pleased and put in an order, they would be made with a shank, which is missing on the samples. The flat metal part is where the shank or loop would go.

joecoincollect likes this.
  7. joecoincollect

Thanks for info. I think you guys nailed it.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm curious.. is that a Mauritius 5C under your Mexican Button? o_O
    Mauritius.JPG

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  9. joecoincollect

Yeah, exactly. I got it for 50 cents. Why do you ask?

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice. I like the designs of those obscure little countries. I just started to collect world coins myself.

11. joecoincollect

Yeah, they are definitely interesting. I also like the low mintages. I mainly collect world coins of the 20th century. And it seems like I keep running into coin designs I never saw before but now want to collect. It's a great niche, to say the least

paddyman98 and Numismat like this.
  12. Numismat

I think you are in a great area of collecting. Relatively modern coins with low mintage, but that are very affordable. I believe this area has great potential in the future.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. joecoincollect

Yeah, definitely. Populations will increase I assume, collector bases also. I also hope that world collecting in the US will increase in popularity. But when I think about it, then the shops and shows I go to might increase prices and I won't get so lucky out there! Double edged sword I guess

14. Numismat

Prices for many world coins sold in the US have just about doubled from what they were 10 years ago. I don't expect the same in the next decade, but still it's a good precedent.

Draft saved Draft deleted