Anyone know the story with these nazi "coins"?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by joecoincollect, Apr 28, 2018.

1. petronius

petronius Duke

It's a medal of course, as explained by @chrisild too. But I'm curious, could be possible to see it?

Thanks.

petronius :cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

In case anyone has missed it, a great deal of history is anything but warm and fuzzy.

Blissskr and Numismat like this.
  4. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

To Petronius. Sorry, I'm hopeless at photo-work. If I remember correctly, I got it from Ebay. Go there (online) and request German Nazi Coins, and you should see both sides quite clearly. But it doesn't look like a medal to me, although there is no purchase value stated on the coin. The reverse shows an eagle and a building, the text says - "Die Munchener Abmachungen Im Fuhrer Haus",or something like that.

5. Bert Gedin

P.S And 29.IX 1938.

6. petronius

petronius Duke

Hi Bert, is like this?

https://www.ebay.it/itm/WW2-1938-GERMAN-EXONUMIA-REICHSMARK-COIN-HITLER-MUSSOLINI-CHAMBERLAIN-DALADIER/263439884294?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20170831090034&meid=f507ae9ecc3b405ebd7ea577b1320866&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=282847183774&itm=263439884294&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It's clearly written that is a medal, but I can't say if original, from 1938, or modern copy. For the price, I'm afraid it's a copy, I think an original would be more expensive, but I'm not sure.

The above, of course, with reference to ebay medal, I can't talk about your.

Ciao.
    petronius ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Sure, a medal, but possibly one from those days. The design I have seen before, but as a silver medal (see here for example). Whether the one in that eBay auction (not silver) is authentic or a modern copy, I cannot tell. The piece was designed by Karl Goetz who designed many "propaganda" medals, mostly in and after WW1. The silver medal should also have an edge inscription referring to the Bavarian Mint and fine silver ...

Christian

petronius likes this.
  8. Bert Gedin

Having just finished my comments, they have suddenly disappeared. I was saying to Petronius and chrisild that the info, via Ebay, seems to be saying that it was, in some form, a medal. Minted in Italy ? The Ebay wording appears Italian. And Petronius ends by the Italian greeting, Ciao. In my books, that coin or medal remains my favourite German Nazi artefact. Even if it is an "Exonumia", and has no commercial value whatsoever. And the ideology is a totally different issue.

9. petronius

petronius Duke

Oh, no :shame:

Yes, I'm Italian, so, first of all, I searched on ebay Italy, and I found this. But the seller is in England (you can see that price is in GBP), and I'm quite sure that it's not minted in Italy. If it's a reproduction, maybe, in China :smuggrin: if is original, in Germany, of course.

petronius :happy:

10. Bert Gedin

If you searched on Ebay Italy, Petronius, that explains the Italian wording. It would not, surely, be minted in Italy. The most likely mint location might be Munich, where the 4-nation (excluding Czechoslovakia) meeting took place. - Ciao !

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Since Goetz had most of the medals that he designed minted by the Bavarian State Mint in Munich, and since the silver version explicitly refers to that mint (see #26), it is very likely that the silver plated version that "wehrwolf1945" :rolleyes: sells on eBay was made there too. If it is an original piece, that is ...

Christian

12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I don't think there is any chance that the medal on eBay is genuine. The loss of finer detail and shallowness of the relief features while being an otherwise correct match indicates a design transfer was made from a genuine example in order to create it.

petronius likes this.
  13. petronius

petronius Duke

I agree, but this don't means that also @Bert Gedin's medal is a modern reproduction.

But if we cant't see it...;)

petronius :cool:

Numismat likes this.
  14. Numismat

True, unfortunate that we can't have a look. But, if it's not bronze, silver or gold then it is most likely a modern copy.

15. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The story is that there are some smart crooks out there making business. If someone is willing to pay more than a dollar, they have made money. Doesn't matter whether it's Greek, American, Nazi, Soviet, Chinese, etc. It only matters when someone makes a purchase.

Numismat likes this.
  16. Bert Gedin

To say that there are no coins that depict Hitler is a statement chiselled in stone, and, as such, a dogmatic statement. chrisild's certainty is, in itself, a matter of questioning. Perhaps the evidence for genuine Nazi coins depicting the Fuhrer is elusive. That doesn't mean they don't exist. Even if those coins, or token, or medals, which do exist, are reasonably well crafted, to this guy, that is a reason to be interested enough a acquire a few.

17. Numismat

Are you debating whether or not there were official government issued legal tender coins depicting a portrait of Hitler? It's not really a matter of opinion. There were none. Exonumia yes, currency no.

petronius likes this.
  18. Bert Gedin

I used the word "exonumia", probably yesterday. And you're using it today, Numismat. Not a new word. All coins are not exonumia, nor vice versa. Thereby quibble the Numismatologists, now and in the future.

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

It's actually quite simple. As @Numismat wrote, the nazis and their various organizations issued lots of medals depicting Hitler, many stamps too. But not a single coin with his mug, whether one likes that or not.

Christian

RAGNAROK and Numismat like this.
  20. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

I collect some WW2 memorabilia (british & allies mainly). There were issued a lot of real stamps with Hilter's face between 1933 and 1945 in Germany and between 1938 and 1945 in the from Germany occupied countries. No german currency coins depicted AH at all but postwar period ornery fake exonumia.

Numismat likes this.
  21. petronius

petronius Duke

bugs bunny.jpg

petronius :D

Numismat and RAGNAROK like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted