Anyone know if this is a penny lacking the copper plating?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by IllMortalDeity, Feb 28, 2009.

1. IllMortalDeity

IllMortalDeity New Member

This penny is in fantastic condition but the color is kind of a dull silver. It does have a copper collar. My theory is that this coin was not copper plated and not that it is plated or chemically effected. I have pictures. Anyone know what this could be and a possible value?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

I have a certified unplated cent and an unplated cent that was placed in acid to remove the copper plating. Typically, the uplated coins found in circulation are acid treated. It is hard to tell the difference between the two. When looking at the acid treated cent with a magnifyer you can see the surface of the coin is rougher than the authenic untreated cent. But this is alot easier to see when you have the authentic one to compare to the treated one. As far as value, the acid treated coins have no value and I paid $80 for the slabbed unplated cent. I think your coin would have to be slabbed before it would be accepted as authentic. If you feel it is real then send it out for authentication. If you are not sure then go to a major show and get a free appraisal from one of the grading companies there.

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Can you post a larger picture???

5. just coins

just coins New Member

Yes please post a larger pic if you can then we could help you out
    JC

6. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

I think by the color, I would say It might be a Brass-Plated penny. I have a 2008 Lincoln Penny that is a brass-plated coin.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Why do you think it hasn't been chemically affected other than the copper collar? Do you have a sensitive scale to weigh it, as an unplated cent will weight less than a regular cent, whereas a chemically treated will weigh close or tiny more than regular.

Such as jeweler scale, reloader scale, or if you know anyone in a pharmacy or chem lab, maybe they could weigh it for you accurately.

And yes, a larger photo will be quite helpful, but a weight is a physical property.:D

Jim

8. desertgem

Darn! Where are my manners?? WELCOME to the forum!!

Jim

9. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

Jim, I think both the authentic unplated and the treated should weigh the same. When a plated cent is treated they put it in something like an acid just long enough to chemically remove the copper. Since both the authenic cent and the treated cent are original coins without the plating their weight is the same. I took my unplated cent that was altered and weighed it and it weighed 2.4 grams. Unfortunately, my slabbed cent does not have the weight on the slab but I would think it would be the same at 2.4 grams. Just slightly under the 2.5 gram weight of a plated cent. If the cent woulod be slightly over the 2.5 gram weight then I would think it was plated adding material to it and not acid treated to remove the plating.

10. desertgem

Hi,
    When I mentioned "chemical treatment", I wasn't referring to having dissolved the plating, rather chemical changing the color of the plating by reaction with metallic zinc to change the color and make "silver" or "gold" cents.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...M1aRzh6Ov47eHT4eA&sig2=8tgLfodQjW0jfcIdfQIgPQ

Sorry I didn't make it more specific. Acid removal of the plating should be rather apparent on the surface.

Jim

11. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

Thanks for the clip. I haven't seen that one before. Now I understand what you are saying. The one thing I still don't understand is he says the collar is copper. Since the collar is the third die that strikes the edge of the coin I assume he means the edge of the coin. Whether the plating is removed or the coin is replated, I would think the coin would be silver on all sides including the edge. I hope he gives us some better pictures including the edge of the coin.

12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

That's amazing, thanks desertgem.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Weighing to determine whether the plating is missing or not isn't going to tell you anything. The mint tolerance on the weight of the cent is +/- .1 grams. The weight of the copper plating on the cent is roughly .01 grams or less.

14. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

In case it's useful, I'll post a LMC with a partial plating error. I found this in a roll of cents.

[​IMG]

Hunting Rare likes this.
  15. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

Kurt, I like your partial plated cent better than my unplated one. Very nice!

16. IllMortalDeity

IllMortalDeity New Member

I will upload better pics soon those were from my phone. It does seem like the penny shown in the pic with only partial plating. There is no wear or corrosion of any details. The only copper parts you can see on the coin are around the outside edge of the coin and two tiny risen parts that look like tiny copper ink blots in the obverse field behind lincoln's head. It looks like a regular struck coin in every way except for the lack of the copper layer. What would give it away as far as being effected or altered post mint in any way? The details are exceptional. I will post the new pics soon. Either way it is a very interesting coin.

17. Ben Goeckner

Ben Goeckner New Member

I have a 2008 unplayed penny, what is it worth? Not sure how to upload a picture...

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The difference is luster. Unplated zinc cents have struck luster. Acid dipped pieces are dull looking.
    I've been able to buy real errors cheap (<$5), because the dealer didn't know the difference.

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are pennies, (most of them) where the plating has been removed.
    The valuable one is a penny that was struck when it was never plated.
    You'll need photos, but it's almost 100% that it was removed after it left the mint,
    and worth 1 cent.

Draft saved Draft deleted