Anyone know a lower-cost shipping service from UK?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by savitale, Nov 4, 2021.

1. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Coin collectors are generally blessed with auction houses that do their own shipping at modest cost. Collectors in other fields are not so lucky, as the auction houses do not provide shipping and the buyer is expected to collect their goods in person or hire a 3rd party agent to do so. Unfortunately the costs associated with 3rd party collection and shipping are high. For a 300 GBP book, I was quoted a cost from the UK to the US of 140 GBP.

Does anyone know of a lower cost option? I'm not hopeful but I thought I would ask here since many on this forum have presumably purchased items from overseas.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. Is the book 5,000 pages long? That's far higher than any book I've had shipped from the UK using the Royal Mail.

savitale and DonnaML like this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I had the same issue purchasing from Timeline Auctions (I think it was 120 GBPs for 6 books)! They said that was the only option they had. So now I only purchase small items from them. I wish I could have been more helpful

savitale, rrdenarius and galba68 like this.
  5. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I've used "Pack & Send" to get a lot of books from a DNW auction in London to a Northern Ireland address. As the name suggests, they will go around, pack up whatever is to be sent and send it.

I got about 14kg of books (I estimated the dimensions as 52x52x51 cm) packed and sent for £81.34.

You can fill in a form online and they'll send a quote.

www.packsend.co.uk

Previously, I've found it cheaper to fly from Dublin to London to pick up a couple of books than have them posted.

ATB,
    Aidan.

Stevearino, Lueds, DonnaML and 3 others like this.
  6. savitale

Joe, were your books from a bookseller or an auction? Booksellers ship directly via Royal Mail, as you say, but auction houses (at least some) do not. I think the cost driver is that someone has to travel to the auction house and pick up the book.

7. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Perhaps if you have a friend in England who may receive it and send it VIA a cheaper option?

savitale likes this.
  8. savitale

Thanks for the link!

And what would you charge to pick up a package from London? :happy:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  9. savitale

Alas, I need more friends…

10. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Just from a private seller, unfortunately. Auctions may indeed incur additional costs (although that seems like something which should have been made abundantly clear ahead of the sale).

PeteB and savitale like this.
  11. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Not sure how it works in UK, but maybe they have a similar option like the USPS does? I use Media Mail to ship books, vhs tapes, cds, and other media. It costs 3.19 USD if 1lb or less and an additional 55 cents per lb I believe. Very good price compared to First Class/Priority Mail. Good luck!

12. savitale

Yes, the actual mailing cost is probably 20 GBP, or less. And the auction house is not unclear about their policies (i.e., they are not directly responsible for shipping), but I am looking for better options.

13. savitale

Yes, the issue is not the actual cost of postage I believe. It is that a 3rd party has to travel to the auction house, collect the lot and package it, in addition to the actual cost of postage.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted