Anyone know a good source for Calibration Weights?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Jun 2, 2020.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Lev99 if it is an electronic scale recently , check the battery date if included, otherwise use a good quality battery and follow the manufacturer instructions for calibrating. If it is china manufactured ( and most inexpensive ones are ), most are re-labeled with difference names for tracing sales, etc. with only about 2 major companies making most of them. The Chinese scientific lab balances are well designed and accurate and come with a set of calibration weights, but also cost $$$$ up. Most college and research uses such as they are faster and need less maintenance and skill than the older balances such as Mettler and Ohaus.

Also if the need to find specific gravity of a coin to determine variations in say % of gold/copper , a scale can do this with a "kit" that sets over the scale. I use this for my gems and rough to validate its characteristics.
    https://www.mineralab.com/SpecificGravity/

Jim

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lev99

Lev99 Member

@desertgem Jim actually mine is a mechanical scale. Ohaus 311 balance beam, it’s slower (and much cheaper) but accurate. I thought about electronic but decided against it. My experience has been mixed with Chinese stuff. Cheap stuff is generally made as disposable. The expensive stuff is better but past experiences in industry have pushed me away.

When you measure specific gravity for gems/rough on your scale, does yours have a minimum weight needed? My Ohaus 311 can take a kit, but the company discontinued them. From what I read it’s not sensitive for small stuff. Minimum to measure sg is 1.5 grams on Ohaus for a good reading as I understand. -Lev

Draft saved Draft deleted