Anyone here collect Notgeld notes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by tulipone, Feb 6, 2018.

1. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I guess all the recent vendors of novelty or themed coins (US and Royal Mints for example) got the idea from somewhere - and the Ducat shitting donkey picture (somewhere above this) exactly makes that point. I'm wondering if it is a bad thing if it means we get to see so many UNC examples of 'worthless' bits paper we can learn something from.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tulipone

Thought I'd add some more recent favourites below. Colourful and local scenes. Just remembered they may not be appropriate. Will look for some others!

4. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Emergency money (that is what notgeld means) exists from many countries. It includes things like depression scrip, French locals, Italian assegno circolare and mini-assegni, Philippine guerrilla notes, Spanish Civil War notes, Portuguese and Brazilian cedulas, Danish postage currency, Mexican cartones, etc.

Stevearino likes this.
  5. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

I bought a large collection back in the 80's. Mainly German and Austrian. Actually a little over 500 pieces so not "that" large. I have a set of wooden notgeld and an uncut sheet of silk notgeld from Bielefeld.
    Notgeld 001.JPG They are a conversation starter when company comes to our home. Notgeld 006.JPG

6. tulipone

Very nice.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I have this type of Bielefeld Silk note
    [​IMG]
    (This is a web pic, but my note is in similar condition)

tulipone likes this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

IMAG0758.jpg
    Someone want to help me with this one? I'm trying to translate but not really getting all of it.

tulipone and Stevearino like this.
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Notgeld from Reetz (today part of Wiesenburg/Mark, in the state of Brandenburg). Not sure what exactly happened there in 1848 - which in other parts of Europe was a revolutionary year - but apparently the Reetzers expected some Polish attack. So the mayor sat on a cow, leading the citizens. But there was no fight, and the mayor got "injured" by falling off that cow. To make things worse, the cow also peed on him ...

Christian

10. tulipone

I think it is the stories behind the notes that makes them interesting. Presumably this story was sufficiently famous to sell the notes locally. Nice to think that 60 odd years after it happened people were still laughing.

longshot likes this.
  11. tulipone

I'm wondering if anyone here wants to trade duplicates. Sorting the last batch I see I have quite a few. Nice to finish a series so if anyone needs anything.....

12. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

This Notgeld Banknote alludes to the Polish Revolt in the Prussian Province of Posen in 1848. In the context of the liberal conditions which dominate the public opinion in that time, the Poles decided to take advantage of the favourable situation and to become independent of Prussia. But their revolt was defeated quickly by the Prussian army. The revolt has had bad consequences:

(1) The privileges of the Grand Duchy Posen inside the Prussian state were suspended. From 1849 on there were no more special rights for Poles.
    (2) During the so-called pre-March era the Germans have had great sympathies for the Polish demand for liberty. This sympathy gave way for an anti-Polish sentiment.
    (3) The German language was introduced obligatorily in schools and courts.
    (4) The Poles themselves became convinced that their way to an own state could not achieved by violence. Instead they rely on the concept of organic work inside the existing legal system ("legalization")

Best regards

George McClellan and chrisild like this.
  13. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

Viktor-braun on eBay has thousands of notgeld for sell. They are all illustrated.

14. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I don't collect these but I have seen a period NOTGELD ALBUM in the listings of ebay screen name "kytokens" this week. I buy tokens from him if they are from my state. Otherwise no connection. good luck.

15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

If you needed help with the language, there are a few of us German speakers hanging around.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  16. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

"Scarcity in Grade"
    Minassegni, Chambe de Commerce, Deutche notgeld...
    with center holes "appropriately priced" are "scarce".
    "Rescue" notes.

17. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Herewith I display my entire notgeld collection:
    emden_obv.jpg emden_rev.jpg

Of course, it is the SMS Emden, light cruiser of World War 1, that had quite a cruise in the Pacific. The entire story is one of the more fascinating travelogues of the War.

18. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

Good looking note.

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

paderborn2m.jpg
    paderborn2mr.jpg

These are practically the only Notgeld from Germany that I own. Frankly I wish I owned a ducat defecating donkey.

petronius and Seattlite86 like this.
  20. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I especially like yours, @techwriter. I really find these fascinating, but don't really need another collecting focus right now.

Steve

21. Crate Digga

Crate Digga Active Member

1921 Brakel (Germany) Notgeld 2 Mark

20201012_194039~2.jpg 20201012_194215~2.jpg
    Anti-Semetic Judaica note featuring a Jewish man holding an infant deficating out a window, coincidentally landing on a German nobleman. Hard to helieve this is the CENSORED version. The reverse shows a man at the gallows. Original print had the man sporting a hook nose, which was poorly edited out with brown overprint.
    IMG_20201012_201259_518.jpg

Stevearino and petronius like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted