Anyone here collect Notgeld notes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by tulipone, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

A few more
    n1test.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

And a few old coins on notgeld
    n5.jpg

Ed Snible, chrisild and Stevearino like this.
  4. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

Where does the note with the wheelbarrow come from?

And the ß is found on a UK keyboard by Option + s. I really should have found that out by myself before now!

5. Oldhoopster

Ennigerloh
    Other side. Cool devil caricature (pic from the net, not my note)
    [​IMG]

6. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

My local coin shop has a number of these. Your choice, one dollar.

7. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I have seen dealers offer these in all different quantities up to 2500. I don't know how many exist and have never seen a copy of the catalogs. They are colorful. If I were younger I would go after them and the tinnies. I would start with one of the larger dealer lots then add anything I had never seen before.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. Oldhoopster

That's how I got started. @Art Wilkerson posted a pic of one of the reference books in post #24. I believe there are a total of 12 books in the series. Most of the notes in this thead can be found in Band (volume) 1 and 2

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I searched Bookfinder.com and did not come up with Band 1 or 2. They had plenty of the higher numbers but they are all very expensive for a casual collector.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The German notgeld cataloguer Arnold Keller once stated that his 120,000 piece German notgeld collection was only about 75,000 pieces short from being complete.

George McClellan and Stevearino like this.
  11. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The casual collector can get by with one of the Serienscheine catalogs.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. tulipone

I think that is the attraction of Notgeld. Good to research and cheap to acquire.

Sadly I have never seen anyone selling in that kind of batch load - but wish I had as that is a good way to start off, filling in series with others. Good to trade I'd imagine.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. harley bissell

amazon.com lists many older books at high prices but some of them are now available as ebooks for much less money. I've learned that bookfinder.com has consistently higher prices than what I can find on abebooks.com. When I am looking I check abe first, then bookfinders then amazon for an ebook version.
    good luck.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. harley bissell

I only read Numismatic News and World Coin News with any regularity. When they offer discounted subscriptions I sign up again. Obviously I saw those ads in one or the other of those publications. I can't remember the last time that I picked up a copy of Coin World.

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Interesting. I use both, but as Bookfinder often shows Abebook listing I figures that anything which shows up on the latter would also show up on the former.

16. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

That means I only have about 194,925 to go. :D

Stevearino likes this.
  17. tulipone

Are you able to recommend any?

18. harley bissell

Perhaps bookfinder does not want cheaper listings on their site. I don't know if they charge a subscriber fee to listers or a commission on sales. If fee based monthly charges they would allow anything. If commission based they would want the high dollar listings more than low dollar. I would have to read the terms of service to determine which applies.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I still use Manfred Mehl's Deutsche Serienscheine von 1918-1922. I believe it is now Mehl/Grabowski.

tulipone and Stevearino like this.
  20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

To make life more miserable for you folks, we now have an uppercase ß as well > ẞ ... But that is fairly new and rarely used, so just ignore it. ;)

As for the paper notgeld, collectors should keep in mind that quite a few of these notes were issued for collectors. Cities and other issuers quickly found out that some people liked the combination of local themes and colorful designs.

Christian

tulipone likes this.
  21. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

One of the interesting things is that notgeld notes are not restricted to Germany. I have ten from Austria and one from France.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted