Anyone here coin roll hunt quarters?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by myownprivy, Mar 15, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

It would seem that because they circulate so much more than other change and because there have been so many new types minted in the last decade that odds of finding silver would be the lowest of any change.

Has anyone had any luck?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So many quarters come in shrink-wrapped rolls that it makes it easy for the "silver monger" to check the edges without even ripping them open.

Chris

Legomaster1 likes this.
  4. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

In my opinion, CRH quarters for silver is the least successful compared to halves. Dimes are a close second to quarters.

5. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I tried coin roll hunting quarters, and went through about 15 different rolls at one time, but haven't found a single silver coin, error coin, etc. Every single time I opened the rolls, the oldest coins in it would be from 1965.
    With half dollars, many people believe that the ones from the late 60s don't contain silver, or miss them because they only check the rim, and, those are commonly missed. I have found them on numerous occasions- not even in rolls. I came into my bank to deposit a check, and the ending half dollar in the teller's tray was a 1967. Another time I came in to withdraw cash, and asked for the $5 worth of halves in her tray, as I was coming out of the bank, I noticed there was a 1969 half hiding in between them. So, with halves, I agree. They don't circulate often, and people only look for the 90% silver halves.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  6. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

I've had the least amount of luck with rolled quarters for errors or silver. I don't even make the effort anymore because most would end up at the car wash.

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I have probably CRH'ed a couple hundred thousand quarters (purely for silver, not looking for errors) and have pulled maybe one silver quarter per 65-75 rolls. When I return to the US, I will likely no longer CRH quarters, because I don't see it being worthwhile. I think I'm only getting this much silver because of where I am. If anything, I'll simply ask for CWRs whenever I'm at the bank. I don't see it being worthwhile to ask for boxes...

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Quarters are the most heavily circulated and most widely traveled. Up until the early '90's they were almost like real money and actually got spent extensively. For this reason and because the FED rotates their coin stocks it's almost impossible to find nice circulated examples of pre-1990 quarters. Add in the fact that in the last several years there are millions of people filling folders of the old quarters so even VF's are getting very difficult for the better dates.

The destruction of the housing market caused by banks led to many silver coins entering circulation during the depression of '08 but those coins are long gone now. Silver is as rare in circulation as a nice attractive 1969 quarter in VF or better condition.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Onecrazywingnut

Onecrazywingnut New Member

Funny someone would ask. I was so excited to find this 1956, and an Az extra leaf I logged on to post. Gonna exchange my $499.50 for another $500 box

Attached Files:

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted