Anyone heard from Doug Smith?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, May 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Agreed. Coin Collecting is suppose to be relaxing, not full of bickering over something, that to me, is childish to spend pages and pages of comments of.

I'm sticking around here. I for one remember when the ancient topics were fewer, so it's nothing I haven't seen before.

Heck, it might be a great thing. No more "Post your Gordy III", "Which was your first coin" and worst of all, the monthly, "This XXXX Auction house has screwed me" threads.

Cheers!

cheers-lets-drink.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Why don't you tell us all about the incident, including any PM's that were exchanged.

4. Kentucky

I hope all the refugees come back.

The Eidolon likes this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I, for one, am not coming back, in the sense that my posting will almost exclusively be on the other site from now on, assuming it lives up to even half its promise. The Ancients Forum here brought me a lot of joy over the last few years, but that's over now. I hope those who know me (an even-keeled Canadian? I think) will infer something from that.

Exactly. And as someone who teaches a course on how to argue properly, I can absolutely support the boldface claim!

The no-politics rule is great, but its application has been a failure for these sorts of reasons. It's the double standard that seems firmly entrenched here that's driving me away, for sure. I can't support a site that, it appears, supports a position that I find deeply morally problematic. Symbols and political comments the admin perceives as "no big deal" from their perspective are allowed, whereas similar things from the opposite perspective lead to bannings. Not good. Admin needs to try to take a neutral position, but they aren't, not even close.

No, the worst complaint is the one I just gave.

Because some of us care a lot about the morally problematic positions that CoinTalk appears to us to be promoting. I saw that you liked a post calling those of us concerned "snowflakes" so apparently you don't share our concerns. :rolleyes: But I hope you can understand that these concerns are important to us, and that we also care (or at least cared) about CoinTalk a lot, with the result that yeah, it's gonna get talked about.

I hope the above helps you understand. It's not childish to stand up for a moral position one finds to be important, far from it.

SA over and out. :(:(:(

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I know Donna likes to think shes a martyr, but she's not. The consistent bickering here in the ancient forum actually got pretty bad once she joined. One can go back to many years worth of posts until she joined and see how pleasant it was. She even admitted in a post to being a lawyer & likes to argue and couldn't help it.

Won't miss you, Donna. :rolleyes:

*Awaits another argument reply.*

Evan8 and Hommer like this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

So much for being upset that nobody invited you to the new forum! You're entitled to your opinion of me, but I defy you to find any posts in which I presented myself as a "martyr." I'm nobody's victim. And who said I was leaving?

Voldemort likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Again, I was awaiting that. You didn't disappoint.:D

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thinking you will be banned, if you end up banned, that makes you a victim.:rolleyes:

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Took me totally by surprise. I stayed out of the fray entirely; however, I'm human and have opinions (everyone has an opinion. They're like certain body orifices. Everyone's got at least one).

11. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. Agree on all counts.

12. Kentucky

13. Jedinited

Jedinited Jayhawk Numismatist

Aside from disappearing members, what about disappearing threads? There was a thread that had a discussion about estate planning for coin collectors. I offered some helpful comments and it just seemed to disappear.

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I don't think that was posted here on the ancients forum. I never read it so I doubt any of us here saw it or know why it went poof.

15. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I love that clip. I often use it in my introductory class when introducing them to what "argument" means for our purposes. Michael Palin puts it very well! :D

16. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Me too! And, since I collect U.S. coins, too, I'm not planning on going anywhere. Also, I don't get involved in any kind of bickering. Life's to short for that! I don't get on here much, and I honestly don't know what happened? Oh, not asking, either!

17. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Typical of MOST lawyers. They can't help themselves, especially if it does not benefit them. I wonder what kind of rating she had in Martindale??
    Semper Fi
    Phil

18. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I have created an account at the new forum and will be posting there, but I plan to maintain "dual citizenship" and continue posting here like some others until such time as I am banned or the activity level here drops past the point where it seems worth it to continue posting. I already post my coins in a handful of places, I'm sure several people here see my posts here, on the new forum and on other groups. I try to post such that the maximum number of people see my posts and can benefit from them and hopefully learn a bit about Roman Republic coinage since some of the coins I post are either very obscure or often misattributed and I really enjoy it when someone sees my post and learns something, plus, selfishly the distributed nature of posting on all these sites will help my collection and posts live longer and be available and accessible longer than just posting in one place.

That said, I am glad that the new forum will provide a place for the many people who have been erroneously or unjustly banned from Cointalk to continue posting. Anyone who denies that Cointalk has a serious banning problem has just buried their head in the sand. Far too many members get banned from Cointalk before they can ever make a single post and the administrators just flatly refuse to entertain the idea that they might have made a mistake. Even worse are the members who are in good standing for years and then get suddenly banned for a single incident. And worse than that are the cases such as @stevex6 where, when several members wrote to the administrators of this site, we were told that he was "the troll" and we should all just shut up and accept that he was banned. You read that right, Steve, who could barely post images some days, was apparently "the troll" who was constantly making new accounts and evading all of the spam filters and IP filters that Cointalk uses while also never getting his main account banned for having multiple accounts. "The troll" also had broken English and a completely different writing style than Steve, but hey, the administrators here are infallible so they certainly could not have made a mistake, right? Sure.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  19. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Oy vey! Looks like it's time for the piling on from the peanut gallery. Next come the lawyer jokes from Bartlett's Familiar Quotations.

Stork, scottishmoney and Kentucky like this.
  20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

But I thought it was a God given right as an American to make Lawyer jokes :facepalm:

Stork, Kentucky and DonnaML like this.
  21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Go up to the search box at the top right and enter- estate planning and you will get a list of posts including that word.

DonnaML and Kentucky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.