Anyone have RIC VII?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johnnie Black, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I just picked up this posthumous Constantine Chlorus at the weekend show but not sure if it’s a RIC Rome 104 or 105. 105 is on Wildwinds but with RT mintmark instead of RQ and I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not.

7AC0558B-2181-4BDF-83AA-0E378434E119.jpeg
    Constantine I, AE follis. Rome. AD 317-318. DIVO CONSTANTIO PIO PRINCIPI, veiled and laureate bust right / REQVIES-OP-TIMOR MERIT, emperor sitting left on curule chair, holding sceptre and raising right hand. Mintmark RQ. RIC VII Rome 104 or 105?

Bing, Johndakerftw and dadams like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

It's RIC VII Rome, 105. 104 would be the same type for Maximian.

Johnnie Black likes this.
  4. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Thanks Orielensis! Helps clear it up for sure. Thanks to @dadams also for the links to some extra RIC info.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is Constantius I not Constantine I whose Latin spelling was ConstantiNus. Every letter counts! In RIC, the officina does not change the number. Sometimes a ruler will only use some of the officinae while another ruler used the others. Other times all shops struck for everyone. In this case, all four shops PSTQ made coins for each of the three honored ancestors.
    Maximianus (Siscia mint):
    ru3690bb1428.jpg

Claudius II (Thessalonica):
    rq2180bb1748.jpg

Be on the lookout for the other type in this series. There are smaller eagle reverses for each of the three which are not seen as often.
    ru3923bb3102.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted