Anyone have experiences with Time Machine Coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pompeius, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Pompeius

Pompeius Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I've bought from them numerous times at the Baltimore shows. Totally legit and nice people to boot.

4. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I agree with JA, Time Machine is a great source for coins, and Mark is a great guy.

5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

How about the artifacts? I showed a Time Machine Co. artifact to someone here once and they thought it was a fake (for the record I've bought coins from them that are real).

6. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I would contact them before ordering anything. Though the owner is nice he doesnt keep his site updated. Last time I ordered a few things from him they were sold already. Not fun to have a few hundred dollars held up for no reason.

7. David Arnold

David Arnold New Member

I was just looking at some of their Egyptian stuff...and some of it looks a bit too good and cheap to be true. And there are a lot of pretty good Egyptian forgeries (like 99% of the ancient Egyptian stuff on eBay)

I will buy a cheapie and see. Aleas Jacto

ValiantKnight likes this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I saw a denarius of Vespasian for $30. Not perfect and with a carbon spot on the cheek but still....pretty darn low price. Also, welcome to the forum David!

9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I've known Mark since the late 1980's. You shouldnt have any problems, though you may want to confirm with him availability first.

Basically, he is handling one very large estate, from a longtime dealer who had many thousands of items. The widow (to my understanding) doesnt care much what she gets, just that it all gets sold. So, his offerings are largely pretty cheap, though many items may be simple types.

10. David Arnold

David Arnold New Member

That's good to know. I always like a new source for goodies.

11. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

My brother has purchased artifacts from Mark few times and has always been really happy.

Here's on from Mark, a super sweet cuneiform tablet:

Attachment-5.jpeg

Erin

Alegandron likes this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I also like the authentic Roman period oil lamp for only $17.95. I've been thinking of picking one of these up for awhile now to illuminate my late night writings.

David Arnold likes this.
  13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I've bought from and met Mark several times. He carries more antiquities than most coin dealers and does shows, so sometimes coins sell at shows that he has not had time to remove from his site. I consider him a good guy.

14. David Arnold

David Arnold New Member

Funny thing is as long as it isn't cracked, you could throw some EVOO in it and it should work just fine...

15. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Put it on a plate when you put oil in it. I have lit genuine ancient oil lamps (with modern wicks) to show them to students in ancient-history classes and after 2000 years the clay in my lamps has become porous and gradually leaks olive oil straight through it (not through a crack or other flaw.)

16. David Arnold

David Arnold New Member

Quite so!

17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Same experience. Don't do it. You can buy modern replicas of ancient lamps that work just fine. Put olive oil in an ancient lamp, and you'll be lucky if it doesn't turn into a wet, oily sponge.

18. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Excellent group, I've had great experiences with them!

19. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

He’s good people. Lots of good chat and coins.

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have only bought coins from him, not antiquities, and I've been happy with my purchases.

Draft saved Draft deleted