Anyone Have Cunningham Nearby?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jwt708, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug. I couldn't look at it earlier because I was on my lunch but it's a similar variety as the one I bought. Mine is the 3 dot variety. Seller had the exact same description as the one you linked from The Token Store. I sent a question to The Token Store, let's see what they say.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Longnine009 or anyone else...how about a listing for Camp Zachary Taylor in Kentucky?

Really can't wait for my copy to get here...

4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

If you'll type "token camp Zachary Taylor" into Google, you'll get a number of items. I didn't look at them because I don't have a description of your token.

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

bus lines, infantry, officer's club, exchange... which one?

6. longnine009

It was a WWl training camp that deactivated in 1920. What are you trying to find out about it?

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

THE LEADER / · * · / CAMP / ZACHARY / TAYLOR
    Reverse: GOOD FOR / 5¢ / IN TRADE

If this token is from Camp Zachary Taylor then it's WWI era as Camp Zachary Taylor was open from 1917 - 1920.

8. longnine009

I don't have a listing for it in Cunningham.

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Any listing at all for a Camp Zachary Taylor in Kentucky?

10. longnine009

Yes, mosly bus lines. There's a CO. L 333RD INFANTRY 10c and there's OFFICER'S // CLUB// OF (ornament) CAMP ZACHARY // (ornament) TAYLOR, KY. rev. large 5 and The /pastime/ (ornament) / Camp Zachary Taylor rev Good for // 2 1/2c/ In Merchandise

11. longnine009

And theres 3rd Regiment exchange 150th depot Brigade Good for 5c with bottle

12. longnine009

Are you getting these tokens from a good source? It's hard to believe Curto and Cunningham would both miss that.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

No. Not getting these from a good source. I pulled the trigger on the Gents Den without doing any homework. Worst it cost me $9.50. The Camp Zachary Taylor...Seller wants $75. I saw one on Token Catalog but it's for the 332nd? I can't remember right now.

14. longnine009

It's 333RD in Cunningham and lists for $50. But $75 would not be out of line for a WWl military token. Two of the bus line tokens for Camp Zachary Taylor list for $200 and another for $400.

15. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

"Anyone Have Cunningham Nearby?"

My first thought was, yes he lives about 40 miles from me.....

I don't have his Domestic catalog, only his Overseas Installations book.

Glad you found some info.

Jwt708 likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Wait - do you actually know him?

Geeze, I'm such a dork.

17. longnine009

I met him at the FUN show in 2005 and bought a dozen Vietnam tokens from him. He's an extremly nice person.

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Oh man, that's great. Do you know if he keeps updating his works? As I recall there was a part in there about if any new tokens were discovered then send the info his way to add to the catalog. Because...I have a few. If you look up Jelton Air Force Station (might be base), TN, he only has the 5¢ listed and I have 5, 10, 25, 50, and $1.

19. longnine009

I'm not aware of any new editions or supplements. I got a plated token off ebay once that only had listings for brass. I sent him an email and scan. Maybe someday he'll publish a update. :)

20. PennyGuy

I have to say yes, I know him. Went to his house to pick up a bronzed cast iron plaque of the Gettysburg Address a year or so ago.
    [​IMG]

He is quite active in numismatics across Michigan. Last year he donated sets of the Civil War Token Journals to area coin clubs. A great many of my Lincolnania items are from him.

He is working on a new book of Lincoln medals, plaques, tokens, etc. I hope to see it soon as I have provided many photos of my collection for use in the book.

Jwt708 and longnine009 like this.
  21. PennyGuy

I started collecting club tokens from VietNam from him as well, but only from installations I visited there.

Jwt708 and longnine009 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted