Anyone have access to Varbanov?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johnnie Black, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I’m trying to pinpoint the attribution of this Caracalla from Serdica Thrace. The original tag indicates a Homonoia reverse with reference Varbanov 2391 R3. I haven’t been able to confirm via web search. If anyone has access I’d love a confirmation and any cross references available.
    DB3CF0E0-48DD-4DBA-A77C-94994E908ED3.jpeg

galba68, dlhill132, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Johnnie Black likes this.
  4. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I just checked. The attribution to 2391 is correct. Varbanov lists 10 varieties of this coin with various bust/legend combinations, all of which are Rarity 3 (500 - 1,000 examples) and Rarity 4 (200 - 500 examples).

5. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

You've had two replies, Johnnie Black, but all good things comes in threes. So here goes. - Globe in right and sceptre in left. Eagle with wreath in beak to left.-
    Varbanov, Ivan, author of "Greek Imperial Coins and their Values"(2005-2007), Vol.I, II & III. Translated into English.

6. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

@Deacon Ray @Ken Dorney @Bert Gedin I can’t thank you all enough for the help. Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been swamped at work, but this is a nice way to end the day.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

All good things come in 3's (Deacon, Ken & Bert ?). Thanks for thanking us, Johnnie - You're a Gentleman & a Scholar !!!

Draft saved Draft deleted