Anyone have a coin Tattoo? An eagle from a coin? etc. Help me here.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mralexanderb, Jan 26, 2011.

1. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

While I don't sport a tattoo, I've debated the possibility of getting one, or more, for 6 decades now. Though, I didn't really consider it in my first 10 years of life. But now, in my somewhat more mature years, I'm considering getting a TaT of a coin figure. I'm leaning towards a Flying Eagle from the short lived set as they have always intrigued me. The coins and the eagles, including the patterns by Longacre and others.

So, what I'm really trying to get at here is:

1-Post your Tats of coin images; eagles, bears, bunnies, dragons, snakes busts, etc. As long as they are a representation on a coin image. Please, No Yogi the bears, Bugs Bunny or Atom Ants. And post the coin if you can. And nothing from the gals from the olden wooden nickels and saloon tokens either. Those you can send them in a PM to me.

2-Please write some little story to go with the Photo of the Tat.

3-Give me a good reason to get a tattoo, or not to get one.:devil:

Thanks ladies and gents,

Bruce

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

There is a CT member with a couple coin/note related tats... a thread sometime back has photos. I will do a search and see what I can find for you... Here's one

4. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

I have two

Attached Files:

5. krispy

krispy krispy

6. PFCBEGA

I love them, they show that not only do i enjoy my hobby I'm obsessed! lol For those of you that don't know the first image is the reverse design of the Libertas Americana Medal, i got it because i am a Revolutionary War nut and i can't afford a real one!

-Russ

7. mralexanderb

krispy, PFCBEGA, That is exactly what I'm looking for. PFC, what coin is the 1700's design from? Any story with those tats? Any advice? krispy, I know you'll have some advice for me. Any tats?

Bruce

8. mralexanderb

I'm guessing you got it in reverse so you can see it in mirror image.

Bruce

9. PFCBEGA

For those of you that don't know the first image is the reverse design of the Libertas Americana Medal, i got it because i am a Revolutionary War nut. The second image is from the Seated coin series. All i can say is find a design you like. I picked the seated design because i love the series and i think its a classic American Icon.

10. Simms

Simms Tactile History

I am considering getting the eagle or dragon off this coin of mine.

Attached Files:

11. mralexanderb

Either of the 4 figures would be fine. Is that a medal or a shield or ??

Bruce

12. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

Flying eagle is a great choice for a tat....well done

13. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

nice!

14. mralexanderb

So far, that's my first choice. Now, I have to figure out how big, where to put it and what colors to use. That's if I'm going to go through with it. I'm still in an exploratory mode. I'm leaning to the copper color but I don't know enough about tat colors in skin to make an educated choice. I don't think I'd want cadmium, lead or bismuth, as they may be toxic. I'll need to do some hands on research, like go to a tat shop.

Bruce

15. mralexanderb

Gold

Gold, Why didn't I think of this before. I'm almost sure, that I can get a gold laden ink for the eagle design. Gold is virtually inert and I believe I could live with a real gold eagle under my skin. If I live through it....

Any suggestions or comments. (I might be getting carried away here, but so what.:eek:)

Bruce

16. mralexanderb

Oh yeah, You said it was a coin, DUH.

Bruce

17. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Or you could do "I LOVE CT!" Lol!

18. krispy

krispy krispy

Bruce, I will suggest that after you do your research, the thing that represents the most personal connection to collecting and expresses your personality, should be the image you have as your tattoo. I also hear that it is addictive, that once you get one you want more. So if you start, there might not be any turning back and you might end up with a type set across you back! LOL! Just kidding... but seriously, people do love and add to their skin art, so you might too. This may also impart ideas of placement, thinking ahead as to where and how big you may go. Please note that while I do not have any tattoos myself, that I am sensitive to the interests of others and am simply replying with various mentions of things I have learned from others with experience. If you follow through, I hope you will show us the results if you can, or at least the design you picked. Good luck!

19. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I don't have any coin tattoos, but do have quite a few.
    A few bits of advice. Make sure you get something you really like. Do your research on your artist as well. You very seldom see a cover up that is as nice and as personal as an original. And as Krispy said, they can be very addicting. I usually recommend that people get their first tattoo somewhere where it can be covered with clothing and where you wont have to look at it every 5 seconds. If you get a mediocre design or even a so so artist, the more you look at it the more you will pick it apart and eventually may start to not like it. Hope this helps

20. ronterry

ronterry New Member

If I did a tattoo for every interest in my life i would have;

Computer, Quake Game logo, something from the movie Aliens, Car Engine, Flaming Chicken from the Trans Am, Corvette, Chevy logo, Glock, 1911, AR15, Smith & Wesson, reloading press, bullets like the 10mm - 50 Beowulf - 338 WinMag, Star trek something, some sort of US Bill(5 dollar?), and a Morgan Dollar...

As it is, I have no tattoo's thank goodness! However, it I was to get one - I like the Draped Bust Silver Dollar or Morgan...

21. KennyMac

KennyMac 82nd Airborne Division

bigjpst makes a very good point in regards to 'doing your homework' before getting a tattoo...
    I had Shane Knight at Studio 805 in Pismo Beach do 7 of my 18 tattoo's...

At the center top of my back is an american eagle design with "God Bless America" around it......

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted