Anyone Have 5 Asses?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Alegandron, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am slowly building up an Etrurian collection from the pre-Denarius days. These coins are pretty difficult to capture, and are generally not easy to find.

The Etrurians were an interesting people whom had a small empire in Italia well before the Romans. In fact their culture dominated Rome with the first Roman Kings coming from the Etrurians. Rome began to dominate and conquer Etruria, until their culture was absorbed into Roman Italia.

Prior to Rome issuing Denarius style coinage for Italia, Etruria had a very unique coinage, which Rome probably relied on as a model for their coinage.

I recently captured an Extremely Rare AR One-As coin that is starting to fill in my Etrurian denominations collection. I have a One-As, 2-1/2 Asses (Sestertius style), 10-Asses (similar to a later Denarius), and a 20 Asses (similar to a Roman Didrachm) all in Silver. Additionally, I have an AE Sextans (2 Dots).

Nope, no Gold Etrurians (25 Asses)

There is a 5 Asses (similar to a Roman Quinarius) denomination which are very tough to get... Anyone have one? I do not have one... yet...

My most recent capture is the 1 As. EXTREMELY difficult to find, and I happened to LUCK into it, big-time. And, yeah, my landed cost was a bit big-time too... Worth it though, as it is described a EXTREMELY RARE, and yes, very few show up in Wildwinds, ACSearch, none at CNG, and other searches. This one is in a better condition that I have seen.

upload_2017-7-7_18-46-44.png
    Etruria Populonia
    AR 1 As 0.60g 10.0mm
    after 211 BCE
    Obv: Male Head Left
    Rev: Plain Rev
    Ref: Vecchi 3 68-70 HN Italy 181
    Seller/Auction comment: EXTREMELY RARE

Here is Etruria... they are a difficult people to find out WHERE they originated. and here is the Wikipedia article if you are so inclined:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etruria

upload_2017-7-7_18-45-42.png

Here are my present Etrurian coins prior to being absorbed into Roman currency:

ETRURIAN DENOMINATIONS:

Etruria Populonia 3rd C BCE AR 20 As 8.1g Metus Blank HN 152.jpg
    Etruria, Populonia
    3rd Century BC
    Silver 20-Asses
    8.1g, ovoid 16.6mm x 20mm
    Obv: Facing head of Metus, hair bound with a diadem, X:X below
    Rev blank
    Sambon 47; HN Italy 152

Etruria Populonia 211-206 BC AR 10 As 20mm 4-21g die brk Lr Male Hd L - Blank.JPG
    Etruria Populonia
    AR 10 Asses 20mm 4-21g
    211-206 BC
    Obv: Male Hd
    Rev: Blank
    die break

AR 5 Asses - NOPE!!! (Rats!)

upload_2017-7-7_18-57-5.png
    Etruria, Populonia
    2-½ asses , AR 0.85 g
    3rd century BC
    Obv: Radiate female head r.; behind, CII.
    Rev: Blank.
    Ref: EC 104 (misdescribed, Female head with an Attic helmet). Historia Numorum Italy 179.
    NAC Comment: Of the highest rarity, apparently only the second specimen known. Dark patina and about very fine.
    Ex: From the collection of E.E. Clain-Stefanelli

upload_2017-7-7_18-51-38.png
    AR 1 As - extremely rare

Etruria or Umbria Aes Grave 3rd C BCE Sextans 23mm 25-15g Club-2 Dots HN 54 Vecchi-Th 172.JPG
    Etruria or Umbria
    Aes Grave
    3rd C BCE
    Sextans 23mm 25.15g
    Obv: Club
    Rev: 2 Dots
    Ref: HN 54 Vecchi-Th 172

ANYONE HAVE 5 ASSES???

Please feel free to post any cool or unusual coins... I know not too many folks would even CONSIDER this odd collecting niche!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Self-deleted

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Ancient Aussie likes this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nothing to share, but really cool and interesting side collection you have going on there!

Alegandron likes this.
  5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I would title this thread " The Etrurians ".

6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

WOW Alegandron I haven't seen any of them before, very nice.

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Thank you! They have been tough to find.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, that's an amazing assemblage already. I look forward to seeing the complete set some day!

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

There is a 5 as Medusa/blank type. I have seen pictures of it, but have never seen one in person. The 20 as piece can be found occasionally.

baldwin_99_551.jpg
    Etruria, Populonia (3rd Century BC), Silver 20 Asses, 8.34g.
    Obverse: Facing head of Metus (Medusa), hair bound with a diadem, °XX° below, rev blank.
    Reverse: usually blank, but this one has a faint brockage showing the XX and rim of another example.
    EC Series 52.126 (1219) (O20; this coin although the photo doesn't match); HN Italy 142.
    irregular flan, die-break on obverse as usual for this issue
    ex Adolphe Menjou collection, Kreisberg & Schulman, New York, 25-26 January 1957, lot 2765/6 (part)
    Baldwin, auction 98, May 2016, lot 551 (The Property of an Antiquary)

This coin was sold in the 1957 sale of the Adolphe Menjou collection. He was a Hollywood actor and the best-dressed man in America. It is doubtful it ever belonged to him though.

10. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Man those are some great coins, I love the collection @Alegandron The Etruscans are one of the most fascinating peoples of ancient Europe.

I have only one Etruscan coin, a small bronze piece.
    20170707_212525.png
    Bronze AE 15, uncertain inland mint, weight 3.144g, maximum diameter 15.1mm, dieaxis 315o
    Obv: youthful head of Herakles right, wearing Nemean lion scalp headdress
    Rev: dog leaping left, Etruscan letter (reversed C) below

11. Alegandron

I agree about the Etrurians being a fascinating people. At this point no one has truly identified where they came from, and why they were so different from the other Italians.

TheRed and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Excellent collection, Alegandron. Unfortunately no 5-asses here but I have a few Roman coins from Etruria or Umbria minted during the Second Punic War. Based on similarity of style I think at least a portion of the dies were likely cut by the same engravers who made the dies for the Minerva/Owl types from Populonia:
    1066atriens.jpg

13. alde

alde Always Learning

Fascinating stuff and beautiful coins. This hobby is awesome.

TIF, Severus Alexander and Alegandron like this.
  14. Alegandron

Looks like we have the same die break. Mine may had been struck after yours, as the die-break extra material seems greater in mine.

15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Wow im impressed. Gotta be only a few of those around. Go big or go homE RIGHT

Alegandron likes this.
  16. Alegandron

:D I collect based on History (generally), and I have always been very intrigued by Etruria or Rasenna as they called themselves.

Yeah, it IS a GO BIG, and it is also BIG FUN too!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    RAGNAROK likes this.
  17. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coin @Alegandron ! You have a growing Etruscan collection. It seems like there have been more of them on the market in the last year or two. I do not have any struck ones.
    I do have a 5 As cake shown here for size comparison. It was probably from around Rome and could have been Etruscan. The As on the right is 269 grams.
    DSCN0958.JPG
    73D.jpg

18. Alegandron

I really enjoy your Aes collection! Thanks for posting.

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some great stuff!

20. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

.. i have 7... i got 7....jpg

RAGNAROK, Smojo, TheRed and 7 others like this.
  21. Alegandron

LOL, I was thinking on the order of 5 Donkeys, but that will do!

Mikey Zee and gregarious like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted