Anyone has any statues of emperors and ancient deities or famous works of art?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Quite a nice library and collection of busts @octavius ! Reminds me of an 18th century gentleman's.

galba68 and octavius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sometimes I feel 18th century!

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I couldn't help myself. After Augustus Prima Porta, I got myself Hercules and Venus de Milo for my office too. Both are also 11 inch tall, same as Augustus.

They are arriving in 24 hrs. Can't wait.

Screenshot_20191118-211005.png Screenshot_20191118-211033.png

5. Sallent

Uhm, I think I've gotten a little carried away. Could have bought a nice RR denarii with the money I spent on these...but they sure look nice. :D

IMG_20191206_120022735.jpg

6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

True, but the statues are really nice too:happy:

Sallent likes this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great thread! My mom purchased this figurine for me over 30 years ago. It’s approximately 12 inches tall.
    ROMAN_SOLDIER2.jpg
    ROMAN1.jpg

8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Well even kitschy tourist stuff can be fun...
    Just got back from a stay at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas....$12.95

Caesar Statue1.jpg

Caesar Statue2.jpg

9. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Here are a few photos of a small (60 mm.) Roman bronze figurine of Mars Ultor that I own, dating to the 2nd-3rd century CE. I purchased it in 2007; it comes from CNG auction # 75, in which it was Lot 1514.

mars ultor roman bronze 1.jpg

Mars Ultor roman bronze 2.jpg

Mars Ultor Roman bronze 3.jpg

And here's the head of Mars on the obverse of a Roman Republican coin I own, described in my catalogue as follows: Roman Republic, Ti. Veturius, AR Denarius 137 BCE. Obv. Helmeted Mars R., TI. VET (monogrammed) and X behind head. / Rev. youth w/pig between 2 soldiers, ROMA above. RSC I Veturia 1, Crawford 234/1, Sear RCV I - 111. 18 mm., 3.8 g.

Roman Republic, Ti. Veturius, obverse (Mars).jpg

10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I just remembered that I recently purchased another Roman Republican denarius with Mars on the obverse, described in my catalogue as follows: Roman Republic, Q. Thermus M.f., AR Denarius 103 BCE. Obv. Head of Mars left with crested, plumed helmet/ Rev. Roman soldier advancing right, fighting with uplifted sword a barbarian soldier before him, while protecting with shield a fallen comrade at his feet, Q THERM.MF. in exergue (THE and MF in monograms). RSC I Minucia [Q. Minucius Rufus] 19 (ill.), Crawford 319/1, Sear RCV I 198 (ill.), Sydenham 592.19.4 mm., 3.97 g.

Roman Republic, Q. Thermus M.f., AR Denarius 103 BCE. RSC I Minucia 19, Crawford 319-1.jpg

(Image from seller) Mars here is rather chubby-faced for a god of war, I think.

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i have some reasonable facsimiles thereof of some famous art..:D.. last days of Pompeii 003.JPG .Last Days of Pompii on canvas type material..
    Goddess statue up 001.JPG small statue of the goddess Hebe, ..[/ATTACH]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  12. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

On the top shelf above my desk I have these:

AugustusCaracalla.jpg
    A small statue of a scowling Caracalla (I don't recall where I got it--see the Capitoline real one next), a Luristan blade (bought from Joel Malter in 1979), and the head of Augustus from the Prima Porta statue (bought at a furniture store for $10 in the 1980's).
    The top row of Books is BMC Roman and other Roman reference works and on the next shelf down the green books you can see the tops of are RIC.

CapitolineCaracalla.jpg

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I like the authentic bust. It looks like the original imperial porphyry bust was broken, and repaired with non-imperial porphyry, or red granite. Neat

14. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

You hit the nail rite on the head no pun intended.that is a michaelangelo piece. I know this guy see,lol also has a michaelangelo moses except its a diff piece and not inexpensive are you looking for an original?

15. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

16. Sallent

Well, here is the entire collection in the office...

My Augustus keeping a stack of papers company...

IMG_20200124_153516659.jpg

My other statues

IMG_20200124_153509170.jpg

And of course, my 17th century hand-colored copperplate prints of Roman architecture....

IMG_20200124_153437491.jpg IMG_20200124_153413387.jpg

and my wall of 19th Century Ancient Greek lithographic prints

IMG_20200131_105930132.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  17. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

Here are some beauties I own.

Screenshot_20200131-172747.png

Buddhisvatta bust in Marble. Havent seen many in marble so I presume its rare.

IMG-20200126-WA0019.jpg

Another Buddhisvatta, damaged bust in schist.

18. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

statuary.jpg
    Not like the stuff at Christie's. But the results of about 12 years collecting.

SC

19. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

20. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

Nice giclay

21. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

:) thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted