Anyone has any statues of emperors and ancient deities or famous works of art?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'm green with envy. Such a pretty statue. Looks like a fairly well done reproduction.

Coincidence?

downloadfile-16.jpg

downloadfile-13.jpg

I think not.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    galba68, Theodosius, octavius and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Every year there is a Fiesta in Elche , one spanish lady is selected as best Dama in show.

2337.jpg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Do these women have hearing problems?

:)

5. Sallent

Quit mansplaining. :rolleyes: I think that ladies are free to wear gold-plated carburetor filters as earrings if they so choose. This is after all, 2019, and if carburetor filters were OK with the ancients, they are certainly OK today. ;):p

pro-66815_w_ml.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..wow!...looks like it's off of maybe the big bronze of ole Constantine ein..l=kool artifact Erin :)

Johndakerftw likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have Poseidon riding a sea serpent in front of the small fish thank that I always say I’m going to setup
    6B899416-338C-4BD6-A007-733D6F862488.jpeg

8. hotwheelsearl

That’s AMAZING. Bronzes are you know are exceedingly rare.

The size seems to indicate that this would have been a slightly above life size statue! I would kill to see that ...

galba68 and Johndakerftw like this.
  9. Sallent

That would make a kick ass aquarium ornament. So where did you get such a fine sculpture?

galba68 likes this.
  10. hotwheelsearl

Good point! This would be great in the corner of a larger, maybe 30-50 gallon tank.
    One could theme the whole tank around Atlantis and Poseidon...that would be way cool

I actually this as a college graduation gift from my apartment-mate!

You can find it on both ebay and amazon for between $50 and $54:
    https://www.amazon.com/Poseidon-Sta...poseidon+on+hippocampus&qid=1573789658&sr=8-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Poseidon-G...004904?hash=item362fbacb68:g:NWMAAOSw44BYWEmL'

The size is pretty good too - about 8 inches high with another 4 or so for the trident. It's solid, heavy, and looks pretty awesome

11. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Thanks!

This is the zombie finger now:

339A59B8-3234-4EEA-A72D-89D6AC19E56C.jpeg 06C578E3-0107-4CD2-96EB-9D388EFF4183.jpeg

It would be a pretty cool statue to see.

Erin

12. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

I am so jealous of this.....The Bronze statue that is. Lovely.

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. I cannot remember where I found it during my travels.

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I don't have one yet but I want to get one of these ram-headed sphinxes of Amen-Ra. They flank the sacred way between Luxor Temple and Karnak temple - about 1.5 miles.

[​IMG]

15. Sallent

Some close-ups of the details of the statue of Augustus. For a $42 statue the details are mind—blowing. I was expecting it to look less detailed than what it actually is.

IMG_20191115_180054222.jpg IMG_20191115_180104163.jpg IMG_20191115_180125691.jpg

16. hotwheelsearl

I was thinking! How cool would it be to use paint the statue as it would have looked back in antiquity? For $42 investment you wouldn't be harmed financially, and could be a really cool experience.

17. hotwheelsearl

18. Sallent

I know, the painted version is beautiful. However, I recognize my limitations when it comes to art, so I'll leave that to someone else who knows how to do it better. I'd just botch it up. If I ever do find someone skilled enough to do the paint job, I might consider using their services and turning it into a full color version.

19. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great new addition! I love the Augustus!
    I took this pic yesterday but have been busy at work.
    These hang out where I let it all hang out;) Theyused to have vines running up them. But now are a bit more barren:
    4036887F-58F0-441B-A525-F72AC4B121A6.jpeg

20. hotwheelsearl

You got a great collection!
    2x seashells, Augustus, Athena, Alexander (?), Nike, Perseus, Athena

Got a veritable pantheon :D

ancient coin hunter and Ryro like this.
  21. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I love classical artwork. Statues, busts, artifacts just deepen the atmosphere and make these historical figures more alive.
    Here are some of my scattered statues and artifacts I have in my home and library. Some were purchased in Rome.
    There is Nero, in the center , on the table, a head of Augustus sits on a bookcase along with some artifacts, Vespasian is next , resting on a pedestal ( I especially like him), and Julius Caesar towers from above in the last image.

IMG_0128.jpg IMG_0129.jpg IMG_0130.jpg IMG_0132.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted