Anyone good with Ethiopian coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

The issue is that only trial strikes of the 1894 Birr were issued, highly rare and most likely in a museum.

Now they did make a 1887 Birr, but all the pics I can find, the writing underneath the lion is different.

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

spirityoda likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

This is a modern fantasy issue. Attribution on the slab is wrong, it's not KM5.
    Also, the date would be the EE (Ethiopian era) date, so add 8 years - 1902 would be the date by our calendar.

4. Detecto92

I thought PCI was pretty good back in the day? I wonder how this slipped by them.

5. Detecto92

While we are at it, does this 5 lire check out?

I bought these coins for silver at an auction, but I don't want to list them if they are something they are not.
    IMG_6329.JPG
    IMG_6330.JPG

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

thee authentic ones go for big money. :greedy:

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that thing must be a modern fantasy copy. way to shiny to be authentic.

8. Detecto92

Correct. I don't have the cash right now to send it in.

9. Numismat

Another thing I just noticed, the Ethiopian coin has the denomination as 1/8 birr, which would be a small coin.

10. Numismat

11. Detecto92

Why would PCI certify these if they are fake. I believe you, but just wondering.

12. Numismat

People say they were reliable in grading US coins. I don't know about foreign though. I just recently purchased two Japanese coins in the same old PCI slabs, both were genuine and actually under-graded.

I would guess lack of expertise in authentication. They just graded them (and the grades are also way off) and didn't bother to authenticate.

13. Detecto92

Ok. The fake you showed me has a die crack between the I and the C, mine has it between the S and the I.

Also, they both appear to be made from silver.

14. Numismat

I'm talking about the crack on the bust, the neck. Might be silver, but these are underweight, so you never know.

Draft saved Draft deleted