Anyone get to hear Rick Snow's speech?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BigTee44, Jul 28, 2016.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

That pamphlet basically WAS his talk.

joecoincollect likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Is there a link to the pamphlet online somewhere? Or a transcript of his talk? Or a video?

4. V. Kurt Bellman

The talk will soon be available through the ANA and Cointelevision.com, and the pamphlet can be obtained from Eagle Eye Rare Coins, I'm willing to bet. I don't know if he has a website, I've never checked, but I'd be surprised if he didn't.

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Haha, the animation was brilliant. Of course, I am familiar with Rick Snow's website. Been there many times. But you'll also notice that there's no mention of his speech or scheme (at least, not that I could find).

7. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I haven't even bothered reading it yet, but I think I will eventually. I'm not a big fan of micro grading anymore than we do. I get his point about grades within grades, but it's still pretty trivial to me. We already know less ideal examples fetch less money buying or selling, and that price guides are just a guide, so why add his scheme?

8. V. Kurt Bellman

He believes, rightly or wrongly, that there are massive numbers of overgraded schlock coins in (assuming from his examples in his talk) PCGS plastic. I just love poking those guys. Did you ever notice that?

joecoincollect likes this.
  9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

More than just PCGS - Rick did another paper a couple months back analyzing one of the keydates (1877 IIRC) for grade inflation based on when the coin was graded.

Rick is absolutely right - grading standards have gone right down the toilet. His core argument is returning to strict ANA grading standards. But beyond that I don't see how adding complexity helps.

10. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Well said, and I agree with you

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, to be totally serious (Yes, I know, wow.) the three modifiers that he wants to use in addition to the ANA GS word based condition describe three useful attributes. The P needs a new word. It deals EXCLUSIVELY will post-striking damage or contact. The second is all about the die state when the coin was struck, and the third is about the quality of the original strike. Is it not useful to know when we're dealing with a fully struck piece with new dies? Would be to me. There is a numeric 4th factor for copper - the percentage of red remaining, and its NOT just RD, RB or BR. It's a numeric percentage, like 20%.

Draft saved Draft deleted