Anyone familiar w/ The Merrick Mint?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dave_in_delaware, Jan 12, 2017.

1. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

My colleague at work mentioned that his Dad got two $2 bills with color printed Peanuts characters on them for his daughter.

Having never heard of color $2 bills before, I did some research.

I found out that The Merrick Mint produces these $2 bills, and a ton of other items. Their "flagship" products are permanent colorized legal tender US coins and bills. In addition to these colorized coins, they also offer hologram coins, 24k gold plated coins, colorized currency, black Ruthenium coins, commemorative coins, ASE's, etc....

Looking at their website (www.MerrickMint.com) for 10 minutes was very interesting to say the least. Looks like they've perfected a colorizing process that they apply to many different products. You can even upload your own photo to have printed on US coins to give as gifts.

Has anyone here seen their website or seen any of their products first-hand? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The disgust with which I view people like that - who disfigure potentially-collectible US coins and currency purely for business gain - cannot be expressed in words appropriate to this venue. :rage:

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I try not to be critical of the collecting interests of others, but I would never add anything like this to my collection. If you like the way it looks, knock your socks off and buy it. If you expect it to increase in value....well, I have a bridge for sale

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"Disgust" for this yet lauds Carr for doing the same damn thing. It's unreal.

OP,

Collect what you want. If you like them or know someone who would, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with this company's products even if the resident hypocrites say otherwise. I'm sorry, but the double standard is just too much.

Blissskr and ddddd like this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

No double standard here; I'm ok with both Carr and these items. Like it was already said, collect what you like! Plus, altering common Morgans, Silver Eagles, or $2 bills doesn't cause me too much concern. These items aren't rare or too valuable. So if someone wants to use them to create some artwork, they are free to do so.

In terms of the black Ruthenium coins, a few years ago they were selling pretty well (when they first started making them). I think there are some dedicated followers of those and they do look fairly cool from the pictures (although I have never owned one).

There is one major difference between the Carr items and most other alterations: so far the Carr items have held up well in the aftermarket while the other stuff goes for fractions of the original issue price.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. SuperDave

They're gorgeous, and the aesthetic really appeals to me. Aside the "paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa" part. :)

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The private mints are gearing up with Trump coins. Got an email today from the Franklin Mint touting theirs.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'll admit it, I actually really like the black and gold look.

10. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

Wow. Some strong feelings here, which I totally understand.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and input. I realize it's ultimately up to me if I want to collect something, but I do value the opinions of the membership here.

I think their colorized bills and coins are really nice, and interesting, but I realize they're strictly "art" and not something that will increase the resale (investment) value at all.

I may purchase a few of the horse-related colorized coins as a gift for my wife since she's a horse lover. And possibly consider a "upload your own photo" coin of her beloved dog that passed away last year... but other than that, I'll just look at these on their website. LOL.

11. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I have a half dollar with gold highlights on the back. I gave face value for it and it looks pretty neat so it has a place in my collection. Would I pay a premium for it? No.

12. SuperDave

There's nothing wrong with that, and chances are acetone or xylene will likely undo anything they do to a coin.

But you're not the intended audience, because you're aware they're essentially worthless additions. There aren't enough like you to keep them profitable. Their intended audience are the people who don't know better, and will pay a premium for disfigured coins in the belief they're getting value-added.

13. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

That black ruthenium 2 sided Kennedy is striking. I would love to see what an older high relief issue would look like with this treatment.

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

They're still in business?

I too received an email that Bernard Von N is doing another Trump Liberty Dollar for the inauguration. Pre-order has to made by Jan 20th if you want the first day counterstamped version

Paul M. likes this.
  15. David Cote

David Cote New Member

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Alive and well and churning it out.

18. David Cote

David Cote New Member

what's his contact info ?

19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

20. yankee doodle

yankee doodle Member

I have tried multiple ways to get my 8 y/o daughter interested in numismatics with only marginal results (she will be heir to my collection). If the puppy and kitten coins @ $9.95 do the trick in which she is excited about, then these coins are a great investment b/c they will be a portal to our wonderful hobby.

Golden age likes this.
  21. SuperDave

There is that to be said, and I'm forced to concede the benefit. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted