Anyone every hear of a 1948 steel Lincoln cent?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jay sari, Jul 19, 2017.

1. jay sari

jay sari New Member

Anyone every hear of a 1948 Philly steel Lincoln cent? I was looking over a Lincoln wheat cent lot I bought in an auction and came across the attached oddity. The coin is magnetic, I tested it with a magnet and it looks like its in mint condition. Nearly flawless on both sides. I have my suspicions it is real because I never heard of such a coin before. I understand there were two franc French coins made in the Philly mint in 1944, could it be one of those blanks got mixed in with the 1948 copper blanks?

Thanks for looking. Jay IMG_3739.JPG IMG_3729.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Look at the 8. You can see someone took a 1943 and maybe soldered it or put some metal there. Probably to make it look like a rare off-metal error. Interesting find. I always love finding coins with interesting counterfeit stories.

-SC

Kirkuleez and Santinidollar like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The only 2 Francs that I see were minted for 1944 were made of Aluminum and Aluminum-bronze which none are magnetic.
    So the answer is no. We have seen many post 1943 Cents that have been plated.
    franc.JPG

5. SorenCoins

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 9.17.00 PM.png
    I believe he was thinking of the 1944 Belgium francs. We had so many remaining planchets we struck coinage for them.

-SC

MontCollector and paddyman98 like this.
  6. paddyman98

Oh I see... the Numista comment even mentions it. But I don't think that a Steel planchet was laying around 4 years later.
    jj.JPG

7. SorenCoins

Definitely not. But then again 1989 1C have been found struck in bronze. Did you see my explanation above? The date, it was tampered with.

-SC

8. paddyman98

It's easier to plate these Cents. I don't know about tampering because the 3 on the 1943 is shaped differently than the 8.

9. SorenCoins

He said its magnetic. Its obvious. The 8 is differently shaped than the usually 1948 cents.

10. paddyman98

Ok..that's your opinion, I have mine

Peace :angelic:

11. SorenCoins

Your right. I took a closer look. But what would get it to be magnetic?

12. SorenCoins

The question is how magnetic? Strongly? Weakly? Hardly? Its important to know this to see if it is solid steel or maybe just trace magnetism from plating.

MontCollector and paddyman98 like this.
  13. paddyman98

Good question. I have read on other threads on plated Cents, that there is a slight attraction to a magnet.

MontCollector likes this.
  14. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I love seeing people answer their own questions. Like watching them learn right in front of you. Way to go @SorenCoins ;)

SorenCoins likes this.
  15. SorenCoins

Yes. Zinc can show Eddy's currents, and if plated in steel it would show small amounts of ferromagnetism.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. SorenCoins

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted