Anyone ever tried this?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Rust_junky, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

So I've been thinking I might place an ad on FB or some such something like this:

"Got coins laying around you don't wanna fool with rolling and don't want to pay coinstar to count? I'll come either roll them for you in your presence or buy them in bulk from you for face value....cash!! Get that clutter out of your life"

Something asking those lines......
    Thoughts?
    Suggestions?
    Tried it?

Looking forward to y'alls responses
    Happy hunting!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I would definitely make sure it was in a public place, just for your safety.

spirityoda and tmeyer like this.
  4. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

So you'd come to my house and pay me face value for my change without knowing anything about it? That doesn't seem like a good deal for you. Won't you have to pay for fuel for your car? Now if the change was part of an old estate and saved over many decades, maybe. Why not just go to the bank and get rolls?

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Enthusiasm is the foundation for success and I like the way you are thinking. And yes, I'll bet there are some old folks with jars of change sitting in the corner of their closets that they have no idea what to do with. But I would caution this. I would bet for every twenty leads you get that nineteen of them will not yield anything of interest. So then you have to gauge whether spending that much time and fuel are worth the effort as @wxcoin has suggested. I do like the creative thinking.

Dynoking, wxcoin and Rust_junky like this.
  6. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Oh yea of course.....

7. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Just thinking out of the box. For example I do Remodeling and one of my customers recently disclosed to me a couple thousand wheat pennies that her father saved. And she is 80 years old. She told me I was welcome to come anytime I wanted and look through them. That's what sparked my idea. Thank you for the feedback.

wxcoin likes this.
  8. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

And how far would you travel to fulfill this endeavor? Could get pretty expensive.

9. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

I think im going to steal this idea, and run it out of my collectables shop (Coming within 2 or 3 years.)

10. wxcoin

In this context I like the idea. Since your customer is older then I'd definitely take her up on her offer to go through the coins. If you do find some coins that are worth more than face or bullion value then I'd make her a fair offer over face. Making her happy and getting her trust could work in your favor. I'd bet she knows other people in her age group who may have coins lying around and having her trust may get you more contacts.

A few years ago a close friend of mine mentioned to one of her elderly friends that I collected coins. Her friend told me that she inherited her mothers coin collection and asked me if I would go through the collection to see if it was worth anything. She wanted to sell it but keep a few nice pieces for her great niece and great nephew. The collection was stored in her attic in over seven large office paper boxes. Unfortunately, some of the proof coins toned from being stored in the attic. However, I found over 17 ounces of gold coins and several mint state large cents. Although I didn't feel comfortable making offers on most of the collection, I did organize it and take it to a trusted dealer who payed her a fair price for the parts she wanted to sell. What she initially thought was a collection worth a few hundred dollars turned into a check for over $27000.

11. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Yeah that's kind of why I wanted to post it up here and see if anybody has ever tried it and what kind of luck they have. I've always seemed to have pretty good luck with everything I've ever tried so I feel confident that that it would not be a complete failure LOL. I may give it a go and see what happens. But I have figured out that if I go to places such as gas stations where people go to cash checks and the low life people hang out, the rolls I get if I can get one of the owners to work with me, tend to be the best rolls I've gotten anywhere. Someone else mentioned going to the high-end areas and try which I have not done yet. And the reasoning was that those people don't have time to look through change don't care about looking for change and there may be some good scores there as well. But the local laundromat that disperses dollar coins has been pretty good to me so far of course there's not much of value there but it is what it is. What I love about this is you can't lose money....unless of course I Implement my idea and it's been more money on gas than it's worth......we'll see......

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

that's an awesome story. And yes, as I am a man of integrity, I would be completely upfront and honest with her about everything that was found of any value. She has been a great customer, she always pays in cash, and she's always got more work for me to do so even if I weren't a guy of Integrity I still wouldn't take the chance on messing up my bread and butter customers LOL

Randy Abercrombie and wxcoin like this.
  13. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Love the name.....as a matter of fact it just "sparked" another endeavor

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"I saw your ad on FaceBook and am interested in your proposition. I have about $2,000 in change. Please call me to arrange an appointment. We can meet at a predetermined location and then you can follow me back to my residence. Don't worry about bringing a weapon. I have plenty of guns in the house."

Kentucky, wxcoin and slackaction1 like this.
  15. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

and a cue stick or two..

Rust_junky likes this.
  16. wxcoin

But are the guns loaded!

Rust_junky likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice idea but it would never work. Sooner or later you'll meet an idiot with bad intentions. Even if all did go well your travel expenses would be more than the value of those coins.

Rust_junky likes this.
  18. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

yeah I feel you're probably right, but I would not be jumping out there for every meth heads $200 jar either. I would be fairly selective..... Who knows I may try it but with this great weather I can't justify stopping $75+/hour work to chase after $75 a day.....it would be something to keep kids entertained and let them do the searching and throw any profit in their savings.....

19. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

"Yessir WE'LL be glad to follow you.....but if you pull your gun as a threat to me you should intend to pull the trigger whenyou do sir...... it'll be the only chance you have. What time would be convenient?"

wxcoin and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  20. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

And I don't really concern myself with other's intentions.....I'm prepared but at the same time I know if it's your time to go there's nothing, absolutely NOTHING you can do to stop it......

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

A scenario like the one I described is not totally out of the question in today's society. I agree that if you (the intended victim) pulled a gun, you'd better be prepared to use it. Otherwise, you're liable to "eat it".

This is why I think your original idea is not so good. ~ Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted