Anyone ever tour the BEP in DC?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jwa_jwa_jwa, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jwa_jwa_jwa

jwa_jwa_jwa Senior Member

I just got confirmed for a tour and I'm curious about what kind of experience to expect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

A heck of a ride ;]

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, I did in 1960. The trolley cars were still running in DC.

Chris

5. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

I did as a kid in the mid 80's. I hear the tours are much more limited now due to security issues (this is the case with most government facilities).

6. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I would like too at some point in the future. Please tell us about it after your tour, I would be very interested to hear. Try to think of one or two important questions prior to the tour so that your are prepared to ask them if you get the opportunity. That question in of itself would be a great thread! I will start it for you and see what we get. :)

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

8. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Oh man, I would love to tour the facility. I was in D.C. 3 times last summer and never thought about going. How long did you have to wait for confirmation? I might try and get in this summer if possible.

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I toured it as a very young child

10. jwa_jwa_jwa

I waited about 3 weeks before getting the confirmation.
    From what I've read, you can tour without reservation by showing up that day at the BEP early in the morning and asking for tickets. The tickets are good only for that day.

11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

How did you get the tickets?

12. jwa_jwa_jwa

You have to call or write your state senator. You have to provide advance notice of which dates you're interested in.

13. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

14. jwa_jwa_jwa

I don't know of any actually but I'm thinking of going to the DC Mint.

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

what mint?

16. jwa_jwa_jwa

The Mint has some sort of office in DC.

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

maybe - maybe not. So what? Why do you want to visit an office?

18. jwa_jwa_jwa

I shouldn't say office. Supposedly they have a store with all the mint products. I'm betting they also have a coin changer to give you the latest quarters and presidential dollar coins.

19. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Over the years I've made many purchases from the Mint Kiosk in Union Station, DC.
    There is no Mint that I know of in DC. No coin changer that I know of.
    United States Mint Sales Counter, Washington, DC. The United States Mint recently opened a second retail sales outlet in Washington, DC, located in the lobby of the United States Mint headquarters at 801 9th Street, N.W. The headquarters building is conveniently located one block south of the Washington Convention Center and close to the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station. Among other coin products, the Headquarters Sales Counter offers the latest commemorative and annual coins, the most recently issued state quarters, collector maps and medals. Hours of operation are Monday — Friday, 10:00 a.m. — 4:00 p.m.; and closed weekends and holidays. Please call (202) 354-6800 to inquire about directions or product availability at this location.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_tours/

20. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Thanks for letting me know how it worked for you. I will check with the wife to see what days she wants to go to D.C. this year and trick her into going. hahaha, she'd never go if she knew I wanted to tour BEP so I have to be sneaky!

21. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Draft saved Draft deleted