Anyone ever see a halves box like this?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Mark webster, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Mark webster

Mark webster New Member

I just hunted a full box of halves and spread throughout in various rolls I found these. Does this mean this entire box came from one person? How does that happen?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like potentially a few different searchers.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  4. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Why would somebody do that? What is the purpose for defacing a coin?

LuckyCoin likes this.
  5. Mark webster

Mark webster New Member

Well I’m assuming to mark it but I’m just wondering how I ended it up with a whole box of em I though they would be more spread out when they roll em at the fed or what ever. Needless to say there was no silver. They have one more box for me at the bank ordered at the same time now I’m hesitant to get it.

Wizank likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

To know if you are getting your dumps back. Searchers use their marks to track coins through the system to see if they come back/how long it takes/etc.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

I would get the box. You ordered it. If you don't pick it up just because it may have been searched, you run the risk of burning that bridge and them not ordering for you any more.

8. Mark webster

Mark webster New Member

Well yeah I’m going to get it, however I only ordered one they only told me afterwards that they have to order a minimum of two boxes so I said I’d grab the other one.

9. furryfrog02

Good deal.

10. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I've seen it before but with quarters, not with halves.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Obviously they're a wanker who developed a system that only they know about! That said, when going through boxes looking for silver you gotta take the bad with the good! Hopefully next time, we see the good! laughhard.gif

12. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

They are marking their coins to see if they will circulate back to them. I don’t do it but it does make sense. If they are getting their own marked coins, that means they are searching coins they already searched.

13. Matthew Kruse

Never leave a bank with a box of coins! You don’t want them to hold onto it for nothing! Always be nice to the tellers. :)

14. furryfrog02

I’ve marked several thousand dollars in halves to see if any of mine returned home. Not once in 6 years have I seen one. I wonder where they have ended up. If anyone ever sees one marked “FF” let me know :p

15. Matthew Kruse

I’ll look out for an FF coin!

LuckyCoin likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you use BoA? In my area of Florida, BoA has their own repository for filling orders for the branch banks. All change goes through the repository and the only time that they rely on the Fed is when their supply runs low. This would be understandable for pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters but half dollars are practically never distributed to commercial businesses. I learned this about 15 years ago when I was ordering two boxes of half dollars every week. ~ Chris

17. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

icon_smile_agree.gif with FF and the others. This whole CRH thing is completely random. Your next box could be a major winner!

LuckyCoin likes this.
  18. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Black marker, Furryfrog? I've had 2 FF's here in the great State of Wisconsin over the past year. I figured it was some Fred Flintstone fan. I've had a handful of "TA"'s too.

19. furryfrog02

Either black or green. I haven’t done any in a couple years. I am in MD so that is a good little travel.

20. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Wish I still had them, Furryfrog. It would be kind of neat to have your autograph on a coin. Who knows.......it might fetch quite a price one day.

LuckyCoin and furryfrog02 like this.
  21. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

If I were you when I rewrap the coins to take back to the bank, I'd write 1964 on one wrapper, maybe 1962 on another. Get the guy's hopes up when he asks for customer rolls.

Matthew Kruse and UncleScroge like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted