Anyone ever have any luck with these?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

So my friend recently bought this
    http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121769608811 And it's arriving today and he is super hyped for it. I've always like looking at these lots. When I first started coin collection I found one like this that I liked and then tried to build it myself. But I'm curious, are these like the seeded roll scam, where you show everyone something that looks great only for it to be a bunch of junk? Or are these something worth putting money into? Have any of you bought something like this before? And I don't mean in person because in person you can look through everything and see if it is worth it, but like on eBay?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Nope. Never bought something such as what you've linked.

Quite frankly, I'd never consider buying such an item off eBay.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

My first question is, what are they measuring for the weight? Are they including all the bills, albums and packaging? How much of that "218lbs" actually involves silver? If the shipping weight is around the quoted auction weight, I cannot imagine the extraneous stuff being less than a half or two-thirds of the total. There's a *lot* of cardboard in those pictures.

And contemplate how carefully they arranged the display. I would be a little worried about this, had I just thrown $7k at it.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

There is so much stuff there it is impossible to attempt to calculate the values, esp with most of the coins not showing

However, I have a friend who bought some silver $'s from them and (about #20 pieces I think) and got 2 or 3 1921 Peace $'s in there.

He got a good deal.

6. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

Well I think it would be an exciting punt. One that I would never buy but would be interested in having a good look through.

There is no list of what is included or any idea of condition. The guy has a number of these types of bundles and cannot imagine that he has not sorted though for items that interest him.

swamp yankee and paddyman98 like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that sounds like a bad gamble. I would rather build my own collection so I knew exactly what I was getting. everything looks low grade to me. you could buy a lot of great coins for $$$7K. :greedy:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Never did. Never would. If I'm spending that kind of money, it will be with someone I have built a trust with.

9. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I agree with Collecting Nut. I also never bought coin collections in that format. Sorry.

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Think about it Sully.

This is what the person who has the lot is saying:

"Well, I have about $5k in silver, I have a few decent items, how can I generate more excitement and drive up the price by $2k...... MAKE IT A MYSTERY LOT! I'll show one or two of the really good coins, leave two or three addtional good coins in the mystery box so they don't feel disappointed, and in turn I will scam them into paying more "

Just like the rolls that haven't been carefully and meticulously searched.;)

Not to mention, this guy owns a coin shop. You know damn well he knows exactly what he is selling.

swamp yankee, Endeavor and spirityoda like this.
  11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Never would consider it, nor buy coins & currency in such a manner.

To me, this seems more like hoarding, than collecting. But, if this kind of purchase suits you, then by all means, go for it.

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Anthony's out of NJ has sold such group lots on Ebay for YEARS. I don't think they are intentionally misleading I simply think its a marketing outlet for them. Some collectors simply see stars in their eyes thinking about what "treasures" might be in there, when I am pretty sure they aren't going to find AU 1889cc's buried in the books. So, it may not be a bad deal but personally I would rather look it over beforehand, and not buy sight unseen like this.

Endeavor likes this.
  13. Sullysullinburg

I'll try to post updates as I get them invade any of you are interested. Here's what they looked like when they arrived. image.jpg

swamp yankee and charlietig like this.
  14. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

Somebody once said something about someone born every minute. I forget exactly how the phrase went.

15. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Never seen buckets used for shipping haha

16. ThinnPikkins

ThinnPikkins Well-Known Member

You will atleast find you value spent in that pile. Im curious to see what is all included, I looked @ that listing over a week ago and was curious.

17. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

Keep us posted on the findings please.

18. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

Aren't those the same type of buckets used in stables? And I don't mean for feeding the animals.

Just kidding, maybe the buyer will find a 1913 V nickel in there? :rolleyes:

rooman9 likes this.
  19. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I can think of it quite easy ;)

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A mess in my house. Good luck with that. :)

21. Sullysullinburg

Well going of his vibe he didn't find anything super good. He's already tryin to get rid of everything he just bought. I asked him for a list of stuff and he's says he doesn't have one and just puts out videos and pictures of everything. Here's what I know he got for sure. Two large bags of "collectible pennies". I asked him what that means and it's a mix of wheat and non wheat cents (Note I know their not called "pennies" I just wanted to use the same word he did). 42.60 in junk silver, he wants $505 shipped which isn't a bad deal, only about $10 over spot. 1856 $1 gold, he's taking offers and he has two so far $75 and $80. He's got a full Mercury Dime book except for the 16-D he's wants $1,000. And that's all the stuff I know for sure right now. There seems to be a fair amount of proof sets. There's also a lot of book but he hasn't shown us the inside yet so I don't know how filled they are yet. I'll keep trying to post updates.

ThinnPikkins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted