Anyone else stores ancient coins this way?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I've looked at those & they don't seem very practical especially for coins.

zumbly likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I think your coins look cool .... but I am a total fan of "hands-on" ... so unless you're gonna be re-stapling those babies over and over again, I'd keep them a bit more accessible (I can easily slide-out the insert and roll around with my coin)

=> oh, and I can also have pages after pages of coin-info (including printing-out our CoinTalk discussions and then adding them to my binders)

"PRICELESS"

IMG_5540.JPG

... but sadly, I seem to be my biggest fan (*whatev*)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  4. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

My collection looks like this: image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

5. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

LOL you are a geek, Gol! You even catalogue Coin Talk discussions! Do your coin-friends' posts get graded too? ;)

stevex6 likes this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahaha => hey Smeag, no judging

Ummm, but I'm sorry => I'm pretty sure that printing-out and documenting some of our "coin-info" conversations and photos contains a whole lot more valuable info than a few weak pen-letters on a fricken 2x2!!

c'mon man!! (think about it!!)

:rolleyes:

Theodosius, Jwt708, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  7. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I think the Baby Metal posts should definitely be slabbed. They are priceless!

Theodosius and stevex6 like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I have 3 of panzerman's dog photos in my binder!!

;)

9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I like that a lot. Are those specially made for lighthouse flips? Where did you get them? I could use one for when I decide to take some coins for show and tell at the Ft Lauderdale numismatics club. Been meaning to do that for a while, and your cases look cool. Is there room for the coin tag underneath where the holder goes?

10. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Yep, these trays are specially made for lighthouse flips. I got the cases and trays locally in Australia - http://www.jtsandc.com/prod95.htm
    You will probably be able to source something similar locally too.
    And yes, there's room for coin tags under the holder too!
    So far, this is my preferred storage solution - neat and transportable!

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is why I use the single, 9" red ones and many of my boxes have been modified gluing in two cardboard supports making the box stronger and minimizing the tendency of envelopes from sliding under each other in places where the box is less than full. I don't like looking at coins through plastic windows so I use paper envelopes which require opening to see the coin. Since I have photos of all coins, it is easy to research the number telling where to find which coin. You get more coins in paper in the same space as with flips. When your collection passes from minnow to whale, you may start to rethink some of the options. If you choose to have 10 coins at $10,000 each rather than a thousand at $100 each, your choices will also change. There is no right answer. "One size fits all" rarely fits anyone all that well.
    0examcoin2467.jpg

12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Let me know when so I could swing by. Would be cool to finally meet someone from here face-to-face.

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

seriously? => man, I can't believe that you dudes prefer 2x2 flips to my set-up

.... oh well (I guess you'd have to actually see my set-up to appreciate it's awesomeness) ... it must be hard for you guys to think outside of the typical coin-collector box, eh?

:pompous:

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I really like the neatness and color-sorted organisation of TIF's set up.

Mine is pretty similar, if a little less visually-appealing. The coins also go into PVC-free flips and then into various boxes which are carefully labelled by category...

image.jpeg

15. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

How I organize mine, double row boxes and 2x2 SAFLIPs(though I'm considering changing to whatever FORVM uses). I keep all old tags/envelopes with the coins in the other pocket of the flip if they'll fit, if not I keep the envelope tucked between the two pockets. I also have my own tag with info & all known provenance on each one. Last but not least: dessicants. Essential since I have quite a few relatively expensive bronzes. These get changed out at least monthly. I don't even really need them that much since I live in perpetually dry colorado but I would rather not take chances.

coinbox.jpg

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ha-ha-ha => the fact that I have a sweet 8.5" x 11" photo of my coin nestled nicely against my actual coin should be enough for you dudes to "gawk" and wonder how I'm so fricken far ahead of you!!

:woot:

Theodosius, dlhill132 and Jwt708 like this.
  17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I keep my coins in Saflips 2X2 and 2.5X2.5 sizes. These are housed in Lighthouse albums. I keep my auction data/plus my own labels. Right now they are all mixed up, next Winter I will organize them properly. There are 640+AV coins/ 20 Silver Denarius....so far and counting. john photos 1 007 (Large).jpg john photos 1 008 (Large).jpg john photos 1 009 (Large).jpg john photos 1 010 (Medium) (Large).jpg john photos 1 012 (Small).jpg john photos 1 013 (Medium).jpg

TIF, Svarog, Aidan_() and 12 others like this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

man, you dudes are relentless and brutal

=> I definitely need to invite you friends over to my house for drinks and a BBQ ... oh, and for you to see how fricken awesome my coin storage technique really is!!

You're kinda like the Flintstones!! (hey, but I love Wilma & Betty)

Jwt708, TIF and GregH like this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I started with cardboard flips and albums, and still have my first coins stored that way. I'll move them out...one of these days. I still keep my modern coins in albums. My ancients are in clear flips in boxes because...

1. easy to get out and "fondle" them. :bored: well...you know what i mean.

2. easy to reorganize. if i get a new arcadius, i just plop him in the box next to his other arcadius buddies...and i don't have to rearrange the whole album to fit in a new coin.

TIF and panzerman like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> 100%

=> my break-through technology allows you to merely open the 3-ring binder and place the new coin into its comfy home (how fricken easy is that?)

TIF likes this.
  21. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I've thought about going to this method for long term coin storage. How many coins on average can you fit per box using envelopes? With cardboard 2x2s I can fit @ 60 tightly.

Draft saved Draft deleted