Anyone Else Completely Confused about BitCoin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mkm5, Apr 14, 2021.

1. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Whenever I see a bitcoin discussion, I get this mental image of Wile E. Coyote running off a cliff. Everything is fine as long as he doesn't look down - but eventually, he always does.

Dynoking likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

It was such a bizarre concept with no regulations/oversight. Could of, should of, would of... haha!

Dynoking likes this.
  4. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Page 3 and I still have no clue about bitcoin. Looking forward to the lesson on NFTs.

5. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I was reading earlier about BitCoin "mining." It sounds like a computer monopoly game where someone said, "hey, this is real money" and lots of people jumped on board.

Dynoking and harrync like this.
  6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

FIFY
    The way prices have gone this seems more appropriate. ;)

Dynoking and Mkm5 like this.
  7. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

The computer equipment and electric power neeeded to keep it running and cooled 24/7/365 and to mine a meaningful amount of Bitcoin requires a huge initial investment - well beyond the means of the average 'crypto-prospector' o_O
    A typical mining rig:
    shutterstock_707316523.jpg

harrync, John Burgess and Dynoking like this.
  8. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Yikes!

GH#75 and harrync like this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Some power plants have set up mining rooms letting them run at cost for energy. Even then were only getting like 4 a month and declining

juris klavins and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  10. coinaline

coinaline Active Member

Doesn't every currency's value derive from people collectively believing in its value though?

If the dollar is no longer backed by precious metals, it is almost like crypto. As the dollar decreases in value, people may start believing in crypto instead.

Mkm5 and longshot like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

In it's simplest form yes

12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

The dollar hasn't been backed by precious metals for many many decades. That's why it is referred to as a fiat currency.

Santinidollar likes this.
  13. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

It's definitely a scheme...

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm not fond of some medium of exchange that possesses no tangible backing, which is susceptible to internet interruptions, which may be impeded by government regulations, and the validation and transaction of which could be tampered with by a good hacker.

GH#75, Mkm5, Dynoking and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Every investment has risks, which is why it is wise to not invest more than one might comfortably loose.

Mkm5 likes this.
  16. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

So a Bitcoin is actually an aggregate of 100 million individual block chains called satoshi. So when you exchange a bitcoin you actually pass 100 million block chains to the new holder. Upon the transfer each block chain's digital footprint increases in size due to the fact an additional identifier link is added to the chain. So each time a satoshi is exchanged its value is diluted due to the fact its chain becomes longer and therefore requires an expenditure of more processing resources to verify its authenticity. Meaning a bitcoin containing 100 million satoshi each being two links long will be significantly more valuable than a bitcoin containing 100 million satoshi each being 1 million lengths long.

Is the above correct?

Mkm5 and GH#75 like this.
  17. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused, also...if just a little bit...but with these bits of information and explanation it's becoming a bit clearer. :woot:

Mkm5 and GH#75 like this.
  18. frech001

frech001 New but Old

Mkm5 likes this.
  19. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

One has to pay real currency for virtual currency. Makes no sense. There was a story a few weeks ago I read where some guy is going to lose millions of dollars in bitcoin because he forgot his password. Dumbest thing I ever heard. Like losing all your money at the bank because you lost your ATM card or forgot the pin number. That's about how much sense that makes. If bitcoin was legit, he wouldn't lose all his money because he forgot his pin, unless they crafted and designed a system that doesn't keep track of how much virtual money you got in their system. In that case it's their windfall for anyone who forgets their password.

Mkm5 likes this.
  20. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Well said!

Draft saved Draft deleted