Anyone collect the Roman gold Aureus?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Some of the best I have ever seen. You sure do collect top grade coins! I'm always blown away by the condition of some of your coins.

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I haven't said much in this thread. But I think I've mentioned before that I would very much like to have 1 (one) ancient gold coin -- after all, I collected British gold back in the day, and must have had close to 50 of them a decade ago, dating back to James I. I loved the way they looked, all in a tray together. I wish I had taken photos before I sold almost all of them.

I doubt, though, that it would ever be feasible for me to buy an aureus in decent condition. Yes, I could put together $5,000 if I really had to. But not on top of what I regularly spend on coins. So I'd have to forego, say, 25 $200 coins or 50 $100 coins to make up for that one purchase, and I don't want to do that. Plus, it would mean quite a few months of not buying any coins, and I don't think I have that much sales resistance! So I'd end up shooting myself in the foot financially. What with being an elderly woman living primarily on Social Security and all that. (That photo is three years old. I've aged a lot!)

But I have been keeping my eye out for some time for a solidus to buy, as the closest thing to an aureus there is. Specifically, I've been hoping, since well before this thread, to buy a solidus that's (1) from a well-known, reputable dealer, for obvious reasons; (2) under $1,000 (so I'd only have to forgo all or most other coin purchases for one-fifth of the time I'd have to do so for an aureus); (3) in decent condition on both sides, reasonably well-centered, with the legends readable and none of the important elements worn off or off the flan; (4) early enough still to look like (and be considered) a Late Roman coin, with a Latin legend and reasonably realistic faces and figures, rather than looking like a Byzantine coin, with very non-realistic figures and ultra-religious themes, since coins like that don't generally appeal to me as a matter of personal taste -- no offense intended, but I'm happy to leave such coins for the many of you who think they're great! -- and, preferably, (5) one that isn't in a slab, since I'd probably break it out anyway and don't want to pay the premium that dealers usually charge for slabbed coins. Maybe all of that is asking a lot, but that's been my ideal.

However, prices for solidi, which weren't hard to find for well under $1,000 not so long ago, seem to have been getting higher and higher during the time I've been looking, and it's been getting more and more difficult to find one that fits what I want . There are actually a number of coins I've passed on that I now wish I had bought.

But I did see one I liked the other day, and even though it's hardly perfect, I think it does fit what I want in all or most respects. So I went ahead and bought it, before prices get even higher. Even if they don't, I don't think I'm going to find one I like better for less money anytime soon. I don't want to jinx the coin's arrival before it gets to me by saying too much, so I'll limit myself to saying that it's pre-5th century, and in Latin, and I think it looks fine. (Even though the Emperor is facing 3/4 rather than in profile, which I might have preferred, at least his nose isn't spread all over his face as in some coins I see.) And it's from a European dealer who's been around a long time but isn't named Lanz!

I'll post the coin when it arrives. And I really believe that I'll be content with one ancient gold coin. Unless I win the lottery, in which case I'm buying all the gold! And the silver, too.

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can exercise enough willpower to forgo further purchases until the end of April. After all, it's not as if there aren't enough other coins I can post about here -- both mine (including several that haven't arrived yet besides the solidus), and those belonging to other members -- so it's not as if I plan to disappear.

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words !

Such as this one ?
    And I see a trident on the obverse :)

0190-450.jpg

Q

panzerman, Bing, Egry and 1 other person like this.
  5. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

I havent had the fortitude to buy anything frmo the EU these days, as I recall all the shipping horror stores.....so I havent even bid on any of those......plus, dont really thow the reputations of those houses.
    I got my Basil the Macedonian awhile back....I enjoy it, and it was fairly affordable. I have a little list of things I want......yea, I am all over the place, I only buy the coins which appeal to me, and I am cheap, so......
    1. Carthagian stater....love the pony!
    2. That Thracian silver where the evil satyr is carrying off a nymph
    3. good ole Mamilius Limetanus!

DonnaML and panzerman like this.
  6. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Exactly. And yours is a much better example.

Cucumbor and panzerman like this.
  7. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

30 years of gear...its paid for its self a few times over...its crazy how much some stuff is. I got one amp head..(not including the speaker cabs was $5,000... its worth more than that due to the fact its hand made/wired by a famous amp builder and its the 6th one he built of this new design.

8. Codera

Codera Well-Known Member

I wish I could but I definitely don't make the kind of money needed to buy an aureus. Even the one gold coin I have, a Byzantine solidus, was kind of a lucky break when I bought it in 2014 for $450 and that was already pushing the limit for my budget. I get the feeling even a solidus would not be able to sell for under $500 anymore (my purchase would be $564.19 today when adjusted for inflation). Maybe one day I might be able to get an aureus but if not I'll always be grateful for the ancient gold coin I do have and having bought it at the right time. It will always be a centerpiece of my collection.

Theoderic, panzerman and johnmilton like this.
  9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have pictures of some really beautiful Roman aurei, but at $12,000 and way up, that is a lot more than I have spent for one Roman coin.

panzerman likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The first sentence in my post there from March of 2021 has been proven wrong. “Never in this lifetime” gives way to “gee, look what I bought slightly over a year later”.

Never say never, I guess!

(*However, it was some inheritance money and not my regular salary involved.)

0FDD935E-93BA-4CD6-BF25-65DDB8D62B51.png

Gallienus, Limes, DonnaML and 8 others like this.
  11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Good stuff/ congratulations!!!!! I cut lawns for a living and have 1100 AV coins in my collection/ so slave labour does reap rewards:D One of my latest additions....from Roma event
    AV Solidus ND (467AD)
    Roma Mint
    Anthemius 467-72 23926.1.11_1 (2).jpg

12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I’m not sure there’s any slave in the world who can afford a million dollars in gold.

13. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Ya.... If mowing lawns for that kind of money is slave labor, then sign me up for slavery!!

If you want to know real drudgery, then try sitting in a cubical staring at a computer screen for 40 hours a week.

Then again, I guess the grass is always greener eh?

panzerman likes this.
  14. hotwheelsearl

1100 gold coins at $500 each is $550,000. That’s 10 years of saving literally every single cent of the median US income with no expenses and no taxes.

I wish I could make 6 figures mowing lawns

lordmarcovan and panzerman like this.
  15. panzerman

Since starting work on April 2/ I have had two days off (rainouts) one stretch worked 180 days in a row. I have 130 lawn/ garden contracts/ which I do by myself. Many 95+ hr weeks. But/ its easy work/ basically walking 250K a week. So/ I get my "workouts" paid for. Also/ most of my coins average out at 3-5K. Again/ the secret to success is being efficent/ doing quality work/ working long hrs/ this way you have no headaches with staff/ overhead/ workmanship. I see many times were I can trim a $500 cedar hedge in 3 hrs/ while my competitors take 6 hrs with two people/ hence I make $150 @ hr. For success one has to be disciplined/ precise and have a good work ethic. And/ here in Canada/ no one wants to do menial labour/ or do the work themselves/ esp. after covid.....
    I am off to work blowing leaves:Dand having fun!
    Here is a coin I just picked up as a "unsold" lot.

Russia/ Romanoff Dynasty
    AV Dukat ND
    St. Petersburg Mint
    Ivan V/ Potr I (Peter the Great)
    Regent/ Sophia 00535Q00 (1).jpg 00535Q00 (1).jpg

16. panzerman

I agree! I would hate that kinda job. I love being outdoors/ having aerobic work/ being my own boss/ do not have to wear a shirt/ bring ice cold Coronas on hot days for refreshments. IMG_1214.JPG

17. hotwheelsearl

Wait, $250k a week, or $13MM a year? Jesus Christ, they need to make a reality show about this

edit: 250k steps a week. My bad

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    panzerman likes this.
  18. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Your situation sounds pretty similar to my brother's.

I have a bachelor's degree, two master's degrees, and a PhD in engineering (was in college for a LONG time), while my little brother started a concrete sealing business out of high school. Now, he makes more than double what I make, and does it all as a 1-man operation while working 7-8 months out of the year.

Doing this type of satisfying physical labor while being self-employed sounds like a dream come true. But, most people will not realize the discipline, dedication, and work ethic that is required to make this type of business truly successful. He might only work 7 months a year, but he manages to cram a year and a half worth of effort and hours into that time!

I'm happy for your success, I'm sure you've earned it. Also, congrats on the fitness, unfortunately, this is another sacrifice that I've made with the cube job :(. But, like I've told my brother 1000 times, you should probably give up the yearly, deep tanning cycle and get into the routine of lathering yourself with sunscreen on a daily basis. If you spend unprotected time in the sun every day, then melanoma will come for you sooner or later :dead:.

19. hotwheelsearl

Me putting on my uniform every day for work instead of landscaping
    28810D21-3628-473E-BABC-CFEDA5B02C3C.jpeg

-jeffB, panzerman and sand like this.
  20. ArnAdigard

ArnAdigard New Member

I really love that line.

panzerman likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And go ahead, guess his age from that photo. I dare you. ;)

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted