Anyone collect the Roman gold Aureus?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

@Gam3rBlake I'll give you my advice for what it's worth. Buy what keeps you interested. If you like gold buy gold, if you like bronze buy bronze. One empties your pockets faster than the other which may alter your collecting direction after a while, or it may not.

I buy a coin, then I research all about the emperor, plenty of entertainment.

Everyone here is very helpful and has a lot to offer, and when you need help identifying something specific or more detailed info they will be the first to offer.

panzerman and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Well yeah that is why I’m studying Classical history. I find it fascinating and interesting :).

I also love Ancient Greek coinage too.

But honestly I’m the kind of guy who prefers buying 1-2 really nice coins per year rather than dozens of coins that I don’t really care much about.

Like I’m sure I could buy a couple dozen MS graded Washington Quarters from the 40s, 50s and 60s for less than the cost of 1 Roman aureus in low grade.

But I wouldn’t really care very much about any of them. I certainly wouldn’t look at them several times a week like I would with an Aureus.

My last purchase was in January when I bought a 1799 Draped Bust Dollar (F12 NGC).

I wouldn’t mind buying 1 aureus per year.

Having to wait and save up for a long time makes me cherish my coins even more.

panzerman, DonnaML and jdmKY like this.
  4. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

One day I will sell my guitar equipment and can afford 10 of these...lol

panzerman and jdmKY like this.
  5. Gam3rBlake

Dang you have $100,000 of guitar equipment!?

panzerman, jdmKY and hotwheelsearl like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That would be crazy. If I sold my entire comprehensive collection of antique clarinets I might get 2 aurei out of it

7. Gam3rBlake

If I sold my stocks and all my bullion and coins I would get about 5 aureii. xD

None of them would be in MS or AU or even XF condition though.

It also depends on which aureus you buy.

ONE aureus from the time of Marcus Junius Brutus (assassin of Julius Caesar) sold for over a million dollars.

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Actually 3.25 M./UK Pounds:) IMG_1257.JPG IMG_1258.JPG

9. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Here are some of my aurei, pretty, but I still prefer large bronze...

2Dd8Z9NxTdm5J4Cg7AssQQ3yw6Gg82.jpg 2rGYrGe6X8PpTc5SE35y4tQsF9tzgm.jpg 4esHB8nfpJ7tC6kjogA9D3wwyx5LM2.jpg 8MznPfb49RYnStN7kD3T32Wbjj5Zm6.jpg 8Sz6xy7Am9ES5ecBZ3ff6DjNi4LtKq.jpg 1077AUVESLG.jpg 01191q00LG.jpg 964984.jpg oP9J2dEeG8fyQCp34jNsqg6Y5QbRBq.jpg Yw89Y5Gktd4ZgNq6K38rjFs9Hm7rbz.jpg

10. Gam3rBlake

panzerman likes this.
  11. Gam3rBlake

Oh wow! Those are beautiful!

It's fun to imagine who may have held those aureii before yourself.

Perhaps a member of the Praetorian Guard? Maybe a Senator? Or maybe even the Emperor himself!

I can totally see Claudius tossing an aureus to a servant and saying "another bottle of wine!" (good wine).

octavius likes this.
  12. panzerman

This is the NFA ex. / Roma XX had one realize 3.25 2c354dcf147854936e9a2589db3e6b8f.jpg

13. Gam3rBlake

Yup that's it!!

Oh hmm maybe I misunderstood you.

Yeah that's crazy!

I also read that an aureus with the Colosseum on the back sold for a huge amount as well.

I believe it was Domitian?

panzerman likes this.
  14. Gam3rBlake

Correction: It was Alexander Severus (reigned 222 AD -235 AD). I just looked. xD

unnamed.gif

15. panzerman

The Saturninus Aureus from NFA (unique) would sell for more/ Alexander of Carthage/ Ahenobarbus/ Gordian II
    so many rare aurei.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  16. Gam3rBlake

Yeah for sure. I know I'll never even complete 10% of a collection of every aureus.

But I would like to own a few from Emperors I find particularly interesting.

panzerman likes this.
  17. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

As far as I know not a single genuine Aureus of Gordian II has survived (if there ever were any).

Me, too! I spent a little fortune on Sestertii, but no more than 140 Euros for my single gold coin, which I think is the best value for money I invested in this hobby so far:

.png
    IIII-IT — IIIIII - laureate and cuirassed bust of Diocletian or Maximian left.
    II — IISIII (the S reversed) - helmeted Roma seated left on throne with X beneath seat, holding Victory on extended right hand and resting on sceptre held in left.
    Aureus (gold plated over base metal core), irregular mint in western Ukraine, Chernyakhov culture, ca. 300-310 aD
    19,83 mm / 2,56 gr. / pierced in antiquity
    Oleg Anohin "Counterfeiting among barbarian tribes in the territory of modern Ukraine and Moldova. Catalog of barbaric imitations" (2015), Nr.87 (this coin illustrated); found in the Ternopil region, Ukraine, ex Savoca Numismatik 17th Blue auction (01.03.2019), lot 1894

18. panzerman

The cost for a complete Roman aurei collection/ 4500+ examples known to exist would be in the BILLIONS of euros, ir ever avaliable.

19. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Worn aurei of Nero can be cheap enough.

I got this Indian contemporary imitation in a CNG eAuction in 2010 for less than $300.

[​IMG]

CNG sold quite a few of them at that time - I should have got more!

ATB,
    Aidan.

20. acsearch.info

acsearch.info Well-Known Member

That's a bit exaggerated, maybe. Billions, meaning two billions or more, for 4'500 coins would mean 444'444 EUR or more per coin. I am sure you can get 99% of them cheaper :)

I'd say 100 millions would be enough to buy a decent coin of every aureus type available on the market, given your number of 4500+ is correct.

panzerman and AncientJoe like this.
  21. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted