Anyone bid on iBelgica Auction on the 19th?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Svarog, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Hello Team,

Did any of you bid on iBelgica Auction on the 19th, if so, what's the order processing time, invoicing time frame?

Thanks,
    Svarog

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I bid and I have the same question.

Svarog likes this.
  4. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

I sent an an email or two, but so far - no response

5. Valentinian

Bidding closed on the 19th. In this impatient age it would be nice to be able to see the PR by the end of the 21st, but it did not happen.

Alegandron and Svarog like this.
  6. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Indeed, i didn't get an invoice yet and no response to my emails

7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Same thing with meo_O!

I enquired about an "unsold lot" no replies.....
    I did bid on that beautifull Julian II AV Solidus/ got beat badly:(:(:(:(:(

8. Valentinian

How do you know? The PR is not on sixbid yet and I had no indiction whether my bids were high or not at the time I submitted them. I don't see PR on the iBelgica site yet either.

panzerman likes this.
  9. panzerman

When I got home from work that day, I went on the actual live auction site/ they had a full list of realized prices/ plus unsold items.

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I'm eager to see what you guys won from this auction. There were some incredible coins and I could only sit on my hands while watching the action live. Some of the best coins hammered for 5-10x their estimates, though those estimates were ridiculously low for many of the coins.

panzerman likes this.
  11. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

I emailed the guy today, and he mentioned they had some issues with invoices and info
    Hopefully i will get more info tomorrow
    I bid on their website and as of now it still shows that I am the highest bidder( winner on their website)
    Not sure if this is actually the case

panzerman likes this.
  12. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I was outbid on a couple of the top coins in the sale with bids of 10x+ the estimate with prices that I'd say were uniformly strong. A few dealers I spoke with were also outbid on all of their lots.

It poses an interesting psychological question: do artificially low estimates attract more bidders and higher prices or does it give false hope that a coin could sell for anywhere near the estimate? And, do these microscopic sales tend to do better than the much larger sales or is it worse because fewer dealers will take the time to attend a sale where few lots could be won?

Volodya and panzerman like this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My answers would be "yes" on attracting more potential and hopeful bidders, "arguable" on higher hammer prices, and "very often" on giving false hope that a coin could sell for near a low estimate (especially for those auctions that do not show current pre-sale bid levels).

There are other factors, of course... popular auction houses can count on such tactics yielding better results since their larger regular bidder pool almost guarantees that there will be healthy competition for any coin to drive the prices up, but less popular auctions in trying to employ the same strategy run the risk of coins actually selling at their artificially low estimates because they didn't attract enough potential bidders to begin with.

51 Gallery's small number of offerings don't seem to make it difficult for them to sell coins at strong prices. I noticed in watching the auction live that many of the strong and winning bids were made by internet bidders, so there is that too.

panzerman and AncientJoe like this.
  14. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Has anyone received their invoices yet? (as of 10/25)

15. panzerman

I had bid 5000 on that beautifull AV Solidus Julian II/ sadly it sold at 12K:( Still no word on that unsold lot I asked about.

16. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

I gave them a call today, they were a bit busy and told me that they would call me back - never heard from them...

panzerman likes this.
  17. Valentinian

I wish they would put the PR on sixbid. I bid there and still (6 days later) have no indication of whether I won anything or not. The PR would let me know, except for possible tie bids. Looking at the ibelgica.be website the auction shows no amounts at all--no opening levels or estimates or PR. The sixbid site shows the opening levels, but nothing further. I think it is safe to say they have not handled this very well.

panzerman likes this.
  18. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Just called them today: they mentioned they had invoicing issues, but promised that final pricing / invoicing would be available be EOD tomorrow!

panzerman likes this.
  19. Valentinian

"Tomorrow" was Friday. It is Sunday. Neither sixbid (which I used to bid) nor the iBelgica site has the PR from the auction which closed on the 19th. It is the 29th. I have had no e-mail telling me anything. It has been ten days and I still don't know if I won anything (or, how much I spent, if I won something). I don't understand how a firm can be that irresponsible.

panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  20. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

@Svarog I took advantage of your pre-occupied state and had some luck in the Roma auction:happy::D:p

21. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Hahhaha Najib, i was able to multitask, so snatched 2 as well from Roma:)what did you get?

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted