Anyone Attending the Chicago Coin Expo next week?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Mar 27, 2017.

1. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I would love to go but I will be in the UK for work.

Alegandron likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I might just show up there...

4to2centBC likes this.
  5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

If you are even somewhat close there shouldn't even be a reason. Many people dont like shows as they always complain about high prices, but all one has to do is ask and open your eyes. There is more bargain material available to buy than anyone can afford. I'll give you a tip. Most dealers in the world get their inventory at such large shows. The bargains abound if one is willing to search them out. Alas, I am in California and just cant attend. Hope you go and find many treasures.

Good luck!

Carthago, Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  6. 4to2centBC

Yes, I have heard it can be a worthwhile way of buying direct.

I saw NAC was going to be there along with CNG and a few overseas dealers. I figured if the overseas coins were going to be in Chicago, it might be worth going. I'm trying to determine if the Wed nite event is the time to meet and preview/buy or if Thursday morning is the time to see the dealer tables.

Flights are getting tight. Still debating on attending.

schedule
    Wednesday, April 5th

• 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Gemini Auction Viewing (Garland Room 1st Floor of Cultural Center)
    • 11:00 am - 7:00 pm Heritage Auction Viewing (Garland Room)
    • 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm Dealer Setup
    • 4:00 pm - 7:30 pm Preview (Early Bird) & Cocktail Reception in G.A.R. Rotunda
    RSVP for Preview & Cocktail Reception by clicking here
    Thursday, April 6th

• 8:00 am - 3:30 pm Gemini Auction Viewing (Garland Room 1st Floor of Cultural Center)
    • 9:00 am - 6:00 pm Heritage Auction Viewing (Garland Room)
    • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Show Opens to Dealers
    • 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Show Opens to Public (Free)
    • Starting at 5:30 pm Gemini Auction in Claudia Cassidy Theatre

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Yeah, I usually go to all the coin shows around me. I just moved to the next state over, so, I am contemplating the drive.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really agree on this one. Every time I go to a show I am amazed at what I see. There will be two tables next to each other and one will be selling a lot of material while the other sits alone with few lookers. Of course many sellers are really there just to make contact with people from whom they can buy coins (vest pocket dealers and people with grandpa's collection). Even if you buy nothing, you can learn a lot just keeping your eyes open. I regret a conflict prevents me from going to the April Fools Baltimore show. It will end up saving me about a thousand dollars since I always make a fool of myself at Baltimore. I love shows.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I think it is really important to understand that there are different levels of dealers and circumstances can affect each and every one of them. There is the lowest level, not really traditional 'vest pocket' dealers as they may have a table, but one step up. Then everything from there to the largest dealers in the world (Naumann is going this year). Any one of them may or may not have anything of interest to you or the prices you expect, but it could also be for any reason that they have EVERYTHING you expect. It certainly is a crap shoot and I understand that some may not be able to spend their budget on a gamble, but in this day and age at the very least some of us can come together, trade war stories, compare coins, etc. If one lives close (I would suggest maybe 5 hours drive or closer, maybe more depending on your stamina) one really should attend. It can truly be an eye opener. Some of my best coins and deals have been from shows and not auctions or Ebay or any other venue. Also, if you live either close or slightly to an airport hub a plane ticket if often less than the cost of driving (we dont have that benefit here in the west).

But, I say this from California. We are truly isolated, the West is a really big place and sparsely populated (north to south California is bigger than most of Europe. I have cousins in Ireland who have never been out of Dublin, which I find amazing, but cousins in Australia who have been all about the world). Shows can be infrequent and even more of a gamble than anywhere else (and dying off in many parts of the world, to be honest). But as I understand things shows are much better in the Mid West and East. More dealers, more collectors, more material, etc. Things that I might pay $500 for here in California might only go for $20 in New Jersey.

Bottom line, if you can possibly go, I would say yes. And I dont say that because I have a table. I dont. Just go. The experience will be worth while even if you dont buy a single coin!

10. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I'm going. Shows a fun even if you don't buy anything.

Carausius, Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
  11. 4to2centBC

You going to this? Anyone? It's $75, so it is not for everyone.
    • 4:00 pm - 7:30 pm Preview (Early Bird) & Cocktail Reception in G.A.R. Rotunda

Carausius likes this.
  12. Carthago

If I get into downtown Chicago in time, yes. I always pay to attend the preview at NYINC; often it's the only day I attend in earnest. Fewer people, 2nd pickings after the dealers have cleaned the floor, but still better than opening public day. I would assume the same here, plus cocktails!

Alegandron and Carausius like this.
  13. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I can't make it, but I hope the show does well. I'd like to go next year if reports are good. Please let all of us know what you attendees think of the show.

Carthago and rrdenarius like this.
  14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Wish I could attend. Maybe next year.

Carthago and Carausius like this.
  15. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I'll be there for at least part of the show. The venue is beautiful and the list of dealers is bested only by NYINC in the US, so I think it'll be well worth attending.

Carthago and Carausius like this.
  16. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I agree with this. My advice to those who attend coin shows is to not only look, but also LISTEN. You can learn a lot by conversing with dealers and other attendees, or by overhearing such conversations, at coin shows.

Carthago and Alegandron like this.
  17. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Maybe next year. Never knew about the show, may have to bookmark it on my calendar so I have some money saved up.

18. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

I'm sorry, I do not know how to swim! :D

Carthago likes this.
  19. 4to2centBC

The venue is a big draw for me. I'm leaning towards going. I booked flight and hotel for Wed to keep the option open. I guess the RSVP deadline is this Friday for the Wed night event. Fortunately I have business that needs to get done, so I can piggyback this event.

Volodya and Carthago like this.
  20. Carthago

Thanks for reminding me. I just RSVP'd.

21. 4to2centBC

I just RSVP'd.

btw Volodya will you be there?

Draft saved Draft deleted