Anybody know what these tokens are called/when they were made?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by William F, Apr 14, 2021.

1. William F

William F Well-Known Member

I got these tokens at an antique mall in their own custom folder 20210414_215103.jpg 20210414_215136.jpg 20210414_215204.jpg 20210414_215053.jpg , the whole set for $5, why the heck not? Anyway, It's all the presidents up to Bill Clinton and each one has their nickname and some info about them on the reverse, I'm sure they're not worth much, looks like they're brass. Do any of you know what these are called and when they were made? None of them have a common date, just the years of office held by each President. Any help appreciated!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I like em call them your gold presidential Brothers.

William F and Matthew Kruse like this.
  4. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

when was clinton in office?

5. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Usually you can find some sort of designation on the packaging as to whom made the product. Either way, I would have bit for $5. I'm a sucker for that nice packaging and some historical tokens.

William F likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

7. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

8. Copper lover

Copper lover Well-Known Member

Sal,
    You got an excellent deal. Congratulations .

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They aren't the dollar coins, and the Prez medals are struck in bronze in two different sizes, 1-5/16" and 3". I have the set of 1-5/16" Prez medals. These were produced by a private mint.

William F and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Not sure about this but they look vaguely familiar. Is it possible those were given to customers when you filled up your car, like at a Hess station?

11. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

you mean theyre gold tone like,sorta,kind. that barry goldwater .the mans an absoute mint meister,master i mean monster. did they come with a certificate of fraudentisity by any chance?

12. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I believe masterswimmer is correct. Given away at gas stations but I've never seen such a nice set.

13. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

:oops: Darn . I guess I was wrong . The reverse did look different to me . :sorry:

William F likes this.
  14. William F

Yeah, they're not the presidential dollars, they're about the size of a half dollar...
    Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!
    @masterswimmer your idea is good and makes sense, I didn't know they ever did that at stations, would be cool if they still did :)

masterswimmer likes this.
  15. William F

1993-2001 I believe

johnmilton likes this.
  16. jtlartgallery

jtlartgallery Active Member

Those are brass Readers Digest Presidential Tokens (!997). They were sent to people in the mail. The initial batch had 5 tokens sealed in plastic wrap an an empty album for you to fill. You could choose to receive additional instalments by paying a fee. You can find full sets and partial offerings by searching Reader digest Presidential Tokens on the internet.

masterswimmer and William F like this.
  17. William F

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll have to look some up because there are a couple duplicates that I need to switch out...

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Brings back the 60s when the gas station used dollar size tokens for a gallon. The coins cost 37 cents then :). But my wages were 1.90 hr. Jim

William F likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted