Anybody know anything about the 1983 p quarter?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shootgun54, Sep 18, 2016.

1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I think you should sell it tome raw so it won't be so expensive. ;)

I personally put very little value on keeping sets intact but I know many people do. When I do keep sets intact they are usually very mediocre; I tend to destroy the best and worst.

If you're sure this coin is as good as you think and the the pictures are an accurate reflection of quality (try to look at the pictures with a fresh eye and look for flaws that don't show up on it), then I'd be prone to cut it out since souvenir sets aren't a good source for (true) Gem '83-P quarters. Knowledgeable collectors won't expect such quality in this set.

One other thing is the photo is a little tough to determine strike especially in LIBERTY. It appears to be almost fully struck and I'm basing my opinion largely on this. Clean is very hard to find on these except in souvenir sets but good strikes and deep luster are even harder. Photos are difficult to guage luster as well.

mikenoodle likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

And that's kind of the funny thing. I have a complete set of US Mint sets from 1959- date and the only reason that I have the 1982 and 83 Souvenir Sets is for completion's sake.

IOW, I collect sets and I have kept a special eye for quality on all of them. I don't expect to find a replacement set of equal quality, but if I do break the set and grade this coin and it comes back MS-65, I think it's sufficed to say that I'd be a little upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mikenoodle

I'm going to start a grading thread for the coin. I will try to get pics with a DSL-R and a better light source and we'll see how many people tell me that the coin is a slider. ;)

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Mike, turn it on its edge and it turns from a "slider" into a "roller". You're welcome. :smug: Seriously, if I owned that one, I'd try to find another 1983 Souvenir Set to keep the set whole and send in that quarter. But thass jus' moi. Oh, I wouldn't send it in alone, I'd find some friends for it and send it in to NGC as part of a modern multiple.

mikenoodle likes this.
  6. mikenoodle

I just picked up a replacement 1983 P Souvenir Set on eBay with no envelope for under $30

7. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

With your luck it should have a couple Gems in it too.

mikenoodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted