Anybody know anything about the 1983 p quarter?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shootgun54, Sep 18, 2016.

1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Just to be clear the coin in the first post is, unfortunately, typical of coins in circulation. It is a beat up, poorly struck, and unattractive VF. It's possible that in 50 years this will be in demand but I've never seen any evidence that coins in this condition will bring a premium. I've seen a few rolls of just "83 from circulation" bring a premium on eBay but I believe than aberration.

In the typical bag of quarters it should be easy to find a nice attractive XF. In five more years it might start getting hard to even find a nice attractive VF. Indeed, it won't be so very long before the only eagle reverse quarters in circulation are culls of common dates.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

King,

The coin in my set is a No-Brainer MS-66 in my book. It could even go higher. I have owned this set for years.

I just haven't had the want to break up the set.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

My advice is to always do the opposite of the latest coin collecting truism. When they say, "buy the coin, not the holder", it's time to buy based on the holder. When they say, "If a coin isn't in a slab, there's a reason", it's time to buy raw coins. When they say, "buy the book before the coin", it's time to read websites and listen to podcasts. :eek:o_O:D:D:D

Going counter to every popular trend has never failed me yet.

joecoincollect likes this.
  5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are some very nice coins in these sets
    This is very good advice.

If everyone runs to port then you run to starboard. You might not be able to save the boat from capsizing but at least if it does go over it won't come down on top of you.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yup, when all the lemmings were overpaying for anything made of silver in 2011, I was buying up higher end copper coins and truly high grade (67 and up) clad pieces, and selling generic silver.

7. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Here is a link to the page on Heritage with the most recent sales. You need to log in to see the prices.

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-resul...N=51+790+231+368&Ntt=1983-p&ic4=SortBy-071515

In June of this year, two PGCS MS-66 sold for $35 and $55. In April, a PCGS MS-66+ sold for $129. In June, a PCGS MS-67 sold for $2596.

If you look at the sales history on Heritage, prices have been trending lower for at least three years for the MS-66. This page shows one for October 29 at $258.

Presumably, one reason for this decline is the population count has almost doubled.

If I collected this series, I'd certainly pay either of the two Heritage prices. I wouldn't pay any of the others in the prior posts here, especially since it's for lower grades.

8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Nothing much special except for a CDN bid of $550.00 for the P's and $300.00 for the D's.

I would like to stumble onto a few boxes of these!

9. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

These coins are all over the place in quality. One is better than anything I've ever seen, Two or three are very high quality, most of the rest are gemmy at best or MS-62 at worst. One appears to be a super slider and another is almost certainly AU.

I guess I'm going to have to start bidding since the market is skewed enough it should be like taking candy from a baby.

BadThad likes this.
  10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

One of the toughest to find since the early 60,s in gem B U cond. No mint sets made in 1983. I doubt many rolls were saved and these have all been searched for gems. Most probably ended up in Atlantic City slot machines or circulated awhile. I bought a raw one a while back, sold as BU coin but was a slider...about AU55. I returned it and found one from J T Stanton, His coins are as described so no B S involved. Good luck finding a nice one for less than $30.

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I advertised to buy any Gem '82 or '83 quarter starting in the late-'80's and continuing through the mid-'90's for $40. People would be surprised how few I recieved. Some sent to me were mere pocket change and some were obviously choiced out of rolls but I recieved very few Gems.

People who think true Gems with good strikes and clean surfaces are out there should go look for themselves. Very few of these were set aside and most are junky. True Gems of some of these, like the '82-P are probably legitimately rare and possibly non-existent.

This is just the way it is and services putting MS-65 lipstick on Philadelphia pigs changes nothing at all.

Rolls were set aside. Far more rolls of '82 and '83 quarters were saved than any of the other dates of the era. But the aggregate number of rolls saved was only a couple thousand '82-P and a similar number of '83-P. People have no clue just how ignored these coins were in 1983 and still are.

BadThad likes this.
  12. mikenoodle

King, if I posted a picture of my 83-P from the souvenir set, would you give me your opinion on grade?

13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Sure!

I almost don't need a picture to know what it looks like since I've seen them all. ;)

I'm guessing it's an extremely clean and gemmy MS-64 that the services grade MS-66. Most of these have strike weakness on the top of the obverse and a little less on the bottom of the reverse.

Sometimes these have pretty good luster but if it's been in the plastic too long it might have a haze that's easily removed.

I'd love to see a picture and wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I go counter to every trend, Washington quarters are popular?
    I buy Barbers.

Morgan dollars are popular?

I buy Bust $1/2's.

etc.

But, I always buy the book before the coin

15. mikenoodle

I'll definitely post one tonight after work. I think I'm pretty good at grading clads, but we'll see what you think on this coin, I value your opinion.

16. mikenoodle

Here they are. These are the best I could do with my iPhone

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Mickey in PDX likes this.
  17. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I only see the reverse but it's better than I expected and has excellent luster. If the obverse were the same it would be a monster but obverses are "never" the same on these.

18. mikenoodle

Here's the obverse.

What do you think? a No-Brainer MS-66?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  19. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's nicer than I expected. No one can really grade from a photo but my gut tells me it's nicer than all but three or four of the MS-66 and 67 in the Heritage Auctions listed in a recent post. The strike is only slightly better but the luster is far better. If it's as clean as it looks (it will be) then I'd agree "no-brainer".

20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There appears to be a little chatter around the 7 o'clock to midnight position and some die erosion but these are usually ignored by the services. It's a very nice coin for the date and obviously there aren't any major marks being hidden merely by the camera angle.

mikenoodle likes this.
  21. mikenoodle

Thanks for the input, King. Like I said, I think I'm pretty good at grading clads, but value your opinion.
    I have been debating cracking this coin out of the Souvenir set and submitting it, then selling it for a profit.
    What do you think?

Draft saved Draft deleted