Anybody know anything about the 1983 p quarter?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shootgun54, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Shootgun54

Shootgun54 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Lot's of us know about it.
    Some of us know more than others.
    What do you want to know?

Kirkuleez and Insider like this.
  4. Shootgun54

Shootgun54 New Member

5. Shootgun54

Shootgun54 New Member

is it rare, does it go for anything, and if it is special whats the history about it.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The one you've shown us is not rare or valuable.
    It's just a well circulated quarter.
    Don't give up the hunt.
    Check your in box.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

In order for us to give you a more complete response, it would help if we knew what you were thinking about the coin.

Chris

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Both the P & D are quite pricey in the high MS grades but they are common in circulation. I put away several rolls of higher grade circulation finds when I found out about their values, still sitting on them though.

Ericred and Mojavedave like this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Doesn't that hurt your posterior? :D

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yeah, kinda' like sitting on all those store cards, wearing a hole in my back pocket.;)

SmokinJoe likes this.
  11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

if they are circulated, you're wasting your time. premiums are only paid for UNC coins.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Mine are all high A.U.'s so I'll continue to sit on them at around $7.00 each. ;) Might have to buy another pair of britches tho.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  13. mikenoodle

Tommy, there is virtually NO demand for AU coins. The demand for these coins is strictly in high-end MS grades, and the only reason for the demand is because there are no US Mint sealed sets from 1982 or 1983, thus no ready supply.

AU coins are everywhere for these dates

green18 likes this.
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Oh, I agree, but with interest rates what they are it wouldn't do any good to dump them at the bank anyways. They will go with my estate and someone else can have them or dump them. By then I won't care anyways. I have not touched them in years.Maybe one of these days I'll recheck them to see if any graded higher. They are kind of like a pet to me now, can't get rid of them until they die.

mikenoodle likes this.
  15. mikenoodle

I have a high-grade 1983-P that I have been debating whether or not to have certified.

If it doesn't grade MS-66, I will lose money on the deal, so the debate goes on.

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The "value" aspect of the 1982 and 1983 Washington Quarters is based on the fact that there were no 1982 and 1983 US Mint Sets. Additionally, very few were saved in original Bank Rolls which translates into $900 plus for original rolls.

Examples above MS66 can be elusive and expensive. Circulated quality coins are uncommon but don't really have any value IMO.

17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Not that I doubt you (in fact I agree), but I always find @cladking's insight in these matters to be very interesting. Perhaps he'll stop in and share.

green18 likes this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I wonder what the 'gift shop' examples commonly grade out at.

19. mikenoodle

I have a Philadephia Souvenir Set from 19083, Ken. The Quarter looks phenomenal... but it's a risk

20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It depends on your perspective. Yes, there is virtually no demand for AU coins and these dates are very available in AU because Numismatic News broke the story that the '82-P quarter was unavailable in May of '82. Many people started setting aside all of these coins that could still be found in circulation as AU including the '83-P. Indeed, many assembled sets of "BU" clad actually have AU's and sliders for these dates.

Very few people collect clad but there is a lot of spill over demand from those who can't afford BU so AU's sometimes trade for up to $20. There are also wholesale buyers who can't obtain these in BU so they advertise for AU's sometimes. The market is tiny but wholesalers can just swamp the available supply when they are trying to assemble a few sets. I've had an offer of $25 refused before by a dealer. It was not only a stunning AU but it was also the scarcer type "d" reverse.

On eBay this date will sometimes go for as much as $50 with a little rub but the buyer probably doesn't know it's only AU.

I have no idea why but even XF's can bring a little premium in roll quantity. Up until just five years ago you could sometimes find AU's and XF's in circulation but they are getting extremely tough.

Beat up and ugly coins below VF are pretty much the norm for circ examples now.

BadThad and tommyc03 like this.
  21. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

None of the coins in these sets is fully struck but the services will award MS-66 to the clean ones anyway. They are clean sometimes.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted