Anybody here have REAL info on the 1974 Aluminum or 1964 Peace?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by planman2014, Sep 12, 2016.

1. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

The 1964 Morgan discovery has brought this topic back in the foresight. Do any members actually want to come forward with any tidbit of information you have about these 2 coins or any other "Population 0" coins.

I had a guy claim he had a real 1964 Franklin for years. Never let anybody see it. Finally brought it into a local coin club meeting and a bad altered date.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

If you had information that could cause visits by the FBI or Secret Service would you share it? Look at all the hubbub about the '74-D aluminium cent and it's seizure.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Some bits of tid:

1. The 64-D Peace dollar was struck and you can't have one.
    2. 74 Lincolns were struck in aluminum and all but those stolen... uh... not returned by members of Congress were destroyed. Some have been certified and sold.

Garlicus, Mad Stax, Jdiablo30 and 2 others like this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I have a 74 lincoln that I wrapped it in aluminum foil. Does that count ?
    :)

6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I once heard from a local coin dealer that there had been rumors of 1964 D Peace dollars (yes plural dollars) up in the Washington state and Oregon areas.

But honestly, if there are any out there, they are tucked away in private collections where the owner has so much money, they have no reason to sell them.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I learned from an ANA employee that a Maryland coin dealer (name withheld) wanted to bring a 1964 peace dollar to the Washington office of ANACS in the mid-1970's to have it authenticated. He was told by the director, Charles Hoskins, not to bring it in! :(

Shortly after the call, Hoskins left the office for "lunch." Unfortunately, Hoskins is no longer with us to get the rest of the story if there was any more to add.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hmm.......I left town in the mid-70's.

Chris

Kentucky, Stevearino and green18 like this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it is illegal to own a 64-D Peace Dollar, and subject to confiscation, and illegal to own a 1933 Double Eagle, why is it legal to own a 1913 Liberty Nickel, which is not a mint issue, or true mint error. Since 5 coins were clandestinely and illegally produced by a rogue mint employee, who then sold all 5 coins to the same "collector"?
    All the 64-D's were ordered melted, but the count was done by weight. Anyone inside working on that process could have substituted another Peace Dollar for the 1964-D.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  10. Insider

The dealer did not.

11. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

So far as I know, the 1964 peace dollars were all melted, even the 2 that were sent to be analyzed by the mint. Smuggling any out of the mint by that time would be near impossible with metal detectors and real good security. I would still love to see one, though.

12. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Mayyyybe...

But, if you knew someone who had one, what advice could you give other than "the Secret Service may have a finder's fee for this - but they'll destroy it" ?

Attached Files:

13. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I'm in MD where's the dealer? :p

14. Insider

The last time I saw him was around 1990. I'm pretty sure he was just acting as an agent and did not own the coin. If I remember, he :muted: had left DC by then and moved to FL. I'll bet he is no longer alive.

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One is rumoured to be in the LBJ Library in Texas. LBJ did like silver dollars and was a proponent of minting the '64 coins - so there might be some possibility.

16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

If I had one, I would consign it to a British auction company so that Uncle Sam can't touch it.

17. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

That's a good question, I was actually pondering that recently as well. Unfortunately, I currently don't have the answer

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think it is safe to say that is any of us on this thread have one of the above-mentioned coins, we would do best to keep it to ourselves.

Jdiablo30 likes this.
  19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Heh. If I had one, you'd be the last to know. :)

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And that same collector just happened to be employed at the mint in 1912 and 13. (So there my be a pretty fair chance the rogue employee and the collector were one and the same. Or the collector may have had the rogue employee strike them for him.)

That may or may not work. Governments having friendly relations often do favors for each other. The US government could approach the British and have them confiscate the coin for them. I saw this happen in 1980 at the ANA convention when Canada had US agents confiscate a 1970 Canadian dollar struck in gold from the ANA auction, and the US government tried to get the Egyptian government to confiscate the Farouk 1933 double eagle in 1954.

21. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

True, the mint employee was also an avid stamp collector

Draft saved Draft deleted