Anybody have any of these?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CoinJockey73, May 21, 2021.

1. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Afaik there are no records of Dacians minting any coins, so any ancient coin hoards from that area would belong to the Romans.
    (not my image, although I wish lol)
    12526534015_3f6a3abae7_b.jpg
    But they have made coins imitating other official ones, like this Danubian imitative tetradrachm of Alexander.
    ct.jpg
    And here is my dupondius of Trajan portraying the personification of Dacia mourning among piles of captured war trophies. dacia.png

Scipio, galba68, Bing and 2 others like this.
  4. CoinJockey73

Says a bunch were sold off. Wasn't sure if anyone here came across one, that's all. Thank you for sharing

5. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

[edited] Many (most?) of the coins in question are of the Koson type. In the early 2000s, the Koson staters went from being a relatively rare ancient gold type to one of the most common, seemingly overnight. Curious, that. Now that the looted coins are dispersed in the marketplace, and even though their status is widely recognized, it is extremely difficult to prove in court that any one coin is looted. That hasn't stopped the government of Romania from trying, however, and occasionally succeeding.

The silver Kosons were unknown before the looting. The case with them is pretty much open and shut.

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=226470

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  6. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

The article states that "Most of the missing pieces display the head of a king with abundant locks on the obverse and a goddess sitting atop a throne on the reverse."

That does not fit the Koson staters at all...

Restitutor and CoinJockey73 like this.
  7. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I believe some may have been posthumous Lysimachus issues similar to the coin below but my understanding is that most were of the Koson type. I followed the story closely at one time but that was some years ago. It has has been well covered in the world press. Google will keep interested parties busy for days.

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=199803

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    galba68 and CoinJockey73 like this.
  8. CoinJockey73

Sorry if this is old news, and there's a thread somewhere, already. Maybe they can be merged?

Draft saved Draft deleted