Anybody have an idea on the grading and value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Coin~Chris, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Coin~Chris

Coin~Chris New Member

I would like to have any knowledge that anybody has on a 1968 no s mint mark Roosevelt dime possibly the grading condition and the possible value thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coin~Chris

Coin~Chris New Member

So I had this 1968 no s mint mark Roosevelt 9 can anybody tell me anything about the condition and the value of it please received_1146333292234366.jpeg IMG_20190827_213524.jpg IMG_20190827_213548.jpg

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

First, you've found the right forum for your post -- thanks, and welcome aboard!

Second, there were over 400 million 1968 no-mint-mark dimes struck and put into circulation. The one you've probably seen in YouTube videos is a proof 1968 dime, which is supposed to have an S mint mark; a few were mistakenly made without mint marks, and those are the valuable ones.

The one you have is worth 10 cents. It's heavily worn and heavily damaged, and it started out as a business strike, not a proof; your best bet is to spend it, if your local self-checkout will still accept it.

5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Looks like a common circulated dime that did not have mint Mark's on it. The valuable one came in proof sets.

6. Coin~Chris

Coin~Chris New Member

So you're trying to tell me that the thing I have posted it says no s mint mark is worth that kind of money is actually nothing but a circulating 1968 dime there's worth nothing without that mint mark or with a mint mark

7. Coin~Chris

Coin~Chris New Member

8. Coin~Chris

Coin~Chris New Member

Okay that is where I'm confused because mine does not have the S mint mark on it it is a 1968 with no mint mark it does not have the gas so I don't understand what the proof part mean what is the proof part because either way it still doesn't have the s can u explain to me a little better

9. Coin~Chris

Coin~Chris New Member

So waterproof uncirculated coins so even though it mine is missing the S mint mark is still worthless

10. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. A proof coin is one that is struck twice with highly polished dies on specially prepared blank planchets. Since 1968 all proof coins should have the S mint mark, but a few were struck without the S. Usually the devices are frosted and the fields have a mirror like finish. Your dime is definitely not a proof coin. Here's a photo of one: https://www.pcgs.com/top100/coin8
    Click on the link and read it. Don't just look at the photo. lol :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, that is just a regular business strike (NON-proof) dime struck at Philadelphia (and a damaged, "roadkill" example, at that), and as such, it is worth exactly ten cents. Face value.

The valuable 1968 dime with no mint mark is a proof. Proofs were struck only at San Francisco that year, and should have gotten "S" mintmarks, but some didn't.

Once you're accustomed to seeing modern proof coins of this era, the difference is obvious, but this "business strike versus proof" thing does trip up a lot of uninitiated new collectors.

A proof is struck under extra pressure and will have very squared-off edges, and a deeply mirrored surface, because they were manufactured that way, in an entirely different process.

-jeffB and paddyman98 like this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If you’re new to coins, may I suggest you do some reading on business strikes and proofs. Business strikes are put into commerce. Proofs are basically collector coins. Just google the terms and you’ll get plenty to read. Welcome to CT!

paddyman98 and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Yours isn't missing the mint mark, it is not supposed to have one. Philadelphia minted dimes did not carry a mint mark until 1980 or so. San Francisco mints specially prepared proof coins for collectors and they carry the S mint mark. The no S proof coin would be from proof sets, not from circulation.

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm glad to see you found your answer. Proofs are a category to themselves. Unless you have the original mint packaging or significant expertise, I would assume any you find are business strikes.

One thing you will find as a collector is that many of us specialize. My expertise is in early date Large Cents, but I would rely on others outside that narrow area of interest.

It is the reason I spend so much time at CoinTalk. I can broaden my interest and find others with expertise where I have none and can help others in the area where I do.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Do not use the "no S" definition for this coin. It is wrong.

Go through more of your pocket change. If you live on three east coast you will pile up a ton of coins with no mint mark. This is common.

At one time the Philadelphia Mint was the only mint when there was 13 states. Remember that time? Since it was the only mint they didn't have a mint mark. No reason for it. They still don't use one except for special stuff.

So what you have is a normal dime.

Now San Franciso uses the S mint mark. When they were making Special Proof dimes on one die they forgot to put the Mint mark. A few of these mistakes were not caught and destroyed and were sold. These are the ones worth money.

Your dime, once again, is common and worth 10 cents.

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

A point of confusion for the young collector is that the addition of a P mint mark to some coins occurred before they were born. Those of us who are older remember the time when there had never been a P mint mark.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/addition-of-the-p-mint-mark.287860/

An interesting factoid is that your dime was minted the year they restored mint maks to the branch mints of Denver and San Francisco after a three year hiatus (1965,1966 and 1967). I remember arguing with a neighbor who claimed to have found a new cent with a mint mark because I KNEW as a ten year old "expert" that they had stopped putting mint marks on coins.

Back then, you didn't have the internet and I hadn't picked up a copy of COINS or COINAGE magazine at the news stand that year. I was still using my dad's 1962 Blue Book for information.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    -jeffB likes this.
  17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Let's be generous, @Marshall to remember when there was NEVER a P mint mark you would have to have been born 5 or so years before 1942 (remember the War Nickels had the big mintmark over the dome).

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/addition-of-the-p-mint-mark.287860/
    You are right. I forgot. I used to find them in change. We had a lot of old nickels here in the sixties and found buffalo nickels frequently as well.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

What you are looking for is this coin, which only came in proof sets and was not intended for circulation, without the s mint mark (where I have drawn the red line). PhotoEditor_20190903_203458825.jpg PhotoEditor_20190903_203413565.jpg

Not the best of pictures but the coin looks like it has mirrors because of the way it was made as described in the posts above.

20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Correct.. Spend it.
    Did you read all the resposes? All true and great information.

Draft saved Draft deleted