Anybody familiar with MA-shops?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Patrick1, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I just took a gander after seeing this thread. To me the prices seem high and most shipping fees to the U.S. seem to be $17, which is very high. It might be worth it if you can find something you can't find elsewhere, but I don't see any deals.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

MA-Shops will indeed, as an option, send out e-mails about new items in "categories" used with prior purchases. And that makes sense in my opinion. The other day for example I got a note about Monaco €2 commems because I bought such a piece from an MA Shops dealer before.

While I currently do not actively collect, I would like to stay updated, so I am fine with these news I get. However, at the bottom of each e-mail there is a link to my account, so that I can modify these notifications. Their privacy policy (English version) is here by the way.

Christian

micbraun likes this.
  4. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Got my item from MA shops, very happy and to me I like it as an alternative to ebay and other places. There is a massive selection of raw and slabbed coins. Coin prices are high but there is a best offer feature!! I definitely will shop and promote MA shops much more!!

ma-shops likes this.
  5. Patrick1

Patrick1 Member

Wow that’s great. I have found quite a few interesting coins too. Do you know how combined shipping works for several purchases from the same seller?

Thxs

Pat

6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I see you've asked this question twice, and I don't know the answer. Possibly different dealers offer different deals on combined shipping. At any rate, you can hit the "question about this" button and ask the dealer via email what his combined shipping policy is and how to go about it. So far I've always found them very helpful and able to communicate in English.

7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Made a purchase this morning. I thought the coin was fairly priced
    and only 5 euros for postage. I wonder if U.S. customs is affected
    by the gov. shutdown?

8. Patrick1

Patrick1 Member

Thanks a lot

Pat

9. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I got two parcels and lost one parcel from MA-Shops. And money for the lost parcel to me was not returned. My opinion: it is rather rare coin shop. They overstate the prices of percent 20 rather actual costs of coins.

10. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I've used them before for a major purchase (over $2000) and didn't have any problems.

11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I've spent some more time looking at this site. I find that most sellers' shipping rates are very high because they seem to include insurance, and many prices seem very high as well. On the other hand, I see coins I've never been able to find on eBay, and there are five or six of them listed on this site, or coins that eBay only has one or two of, and these are much cheaper than the eBay prices. So I made a few orders but haven't received any of them yet. It seems like a good site to also check when you can't find things elsewhere. It wouldn't be the first place I'd go.

panzerman likes this.
  12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I get about 99 percent of my coins via sixbid auction sites. I have bought a couple of great coins from sellers on MA-Shops. The coins where of beautifull quality and the prices I paid where 60 percent of what same examples sold at auction. One coin in particular/ a fast stempelglanz (MS-65) AV Goldgulden from Mainz was a super deal from German dealer. For auctions/ MA-shops/ you have to be very knowledgeable about grading/ prices/both catalogue and previous auctions prices/ and realize that a European auction grades US slabbed MS-60-62 as EF/ 63-65 as AU/ 66-67 MS

Paul M., ma-shops and Bayern like this.
  13. Patrick1

Patrick1 Member

Thxs so much for a great answer. I do know my prices about what I collect for sure and ma-shops will get some of my business soon.

Pat

ma-shops, panzerman and Bayern like this.
  14. FredJB

FredJB Active Member

Prices look steep to me so I only buy items I am sure I will not live long enough to see anywhere else. When I do order delivery is fast and the item is exactly as described.

ma-shops and panzerman like this.
  15. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

Hey, just saw your post - I will take care of it and check the status :writer:
    I will send u a private message for details. Sorry for the inconvenience…

Bayern, tibor and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. ma-shops

Hi there, all parcels are insured, best practice in case of a loss. Buyer and dealer are both on the safe side… Unfortunately sometimes it happens, that a sending gets lost somewhere. It is a pitty for the parcel content, because in most of the cases the coin is a unique piece or has a personal value for the collector, which is not replaceable by returning the money, but at least something what we can do.
    @Hiddendragon I will contact you regarding your case with a private message, will do my best to find a solution. :D

Bayern and tibor like this.
  17. ma-shops

@FredJB And if it is not as per your expection there is a return policy, which you can make use of… I just copied it from the Website, hope that gives some information:

Money-back guarantee. Buy with confidence. We guarantee that you will receive exactly what is stated, or your money will be refunded. Please retain the invoice that comes with your order for proof of purchase.

Insured shipping. Every order is insured and shipped with a tracking number. Shipping arrangements are made between the dealer and buyer at the time of purchase to help ensure a smooth transaction. Charges may vary depending up on the type of shipping you desire, and your location.

Personalized support. You’re protected as soon as you place your order. In the rare event something doesn’t go as planned just contact the customer Service - they are Always helpful.

Bayern, tibor and Chris B like this.
  18. ma-shops

Hey, combined shipping is possible... it could be that the shipping fee will adjust according to the order amount (free shipping or different shipping cost based on different insurance terms of the Courier service) Every dealer on MA-Shops has his own shipping policy. Anyway - the combined shipment by one and the same dealer is possible. Just place the order and in case you place a second order on shortterm, just inform the dealer by a message in the message box. They will take care of it otherwise just contact the customer service...

Bayern, Paul M. and tibor like this.
  19. Patrick1

Patrick1 Member

Thxs that clarifies it.

Pat

20. unnut

unnut Member

Bought from them a few times. Never had any problems. As others have pointed out MA-Shops is just a storefront for a number of numismatic dealers, so your experience will depend upon the specific dealer you buy from. I do not have the issue with spam either.
    once or twice I have bought fairly rare coins from them at reasonable rates but usually I find the prices for Indian coins( my interest area) to be fairly high there.

Bayern likes this.
  21. joe1320

joe1320 Member

I have bought from M-A for years and have had no problems. Returns or scams. Just with other places, look into the seller.

Chris B likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted