Anybody else using Photoscape?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GSDykes, Dec 28, 2019.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

So far I like the program, Photoscape, and it is free - Windows XP on up. Its filter "reflection" is a real time-saver.
    Gary in Washington

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Good tip. I downloaded the software but haven't really explored it yet. Sadly I haven't been overly engaged in collecting/photo taking in recent months. But I enjoy a tip when it's out there. I looked up the Axial Photography. I will be acting on that tip as well.

4. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Been using Photoscape for a couple years now. The reflection feature is very easy to use.

[​IMG]

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Yep. PhotoScape is my go-to on my main computer.

green18 likes this.
  6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

@PennyGuy love how that coin reverse just pops out at me.

green18 likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

An aficionado extreme. I've been on board for quite some time now, and though it doesn't exhibit the effigies of photoshop, it is quite honest........

8. green18

Tried it.....ain't worth the time.

9. green18

And Williams' photo, (such as it be) is drop dead, on point, exquisitely, an result of what can be achieved with the program.

You guys just have to be careful not to download the 'junk' along with the program. If you can do that, then you'll be able to have a true experience at photo editing........

longshot likes this.
  10. green18

To add: William is PennyGuy...a source of knowledge and experience most extraordinary. You might want to pay attention to this gentleman. He's aces...........

Kasia likes this.
  11. GSDykes

1982sm_z_2x2.jpg
    Another Photoscape sample I recently posted elsewhere. As a graphics artist, (created my own website, with hundreds of images) this little program saves a lot of time for reflections! And yes it is quite easy to use. All other preparations are done in Photoshop, my go-to for photo editing. The above textures are realized using a basic Axial setup, shot through angled glass. Axial techniques are great too for proofs and very shiney coins. I also may employ HDR (High Dynamic Range) on some photos. (I explain HDR, on my website below in signature),

Green18, show me your shot which compares to the above, have you a better way than axial setups to show the color and surface?? Lets see it.
    Gary in Washington

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    green18 likes this.
  12. green18

DSC_6256-horz.jpg

GSDykes likes this.
  13. green18

And I spelled 'Independence' incorrectly..... rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif green.gif

14. green18

50 seconds into the clip........ devil.gif

GSDykes likes this.
  15. PennyGuy

@Kasia Thanks, every now and the best lighting,setup, and exposure all comes together.

Kasia likes this.
  16. PennyGuy

Ken, I am humbled by your kindness. Enjoy FUN.

green18 likes this.
  17. GSDykes

Green18,

Nice message, was the 1926 comm. first shot via an axial set up? If not you did an excellent job with the lighting. Again good message in the clip. Green18, are you a golfer? Makes me think of the 18th green, or did you join in 2018, or are you 18, just curious.
    Gary in Washington

18. green18

I shot that photog with three Jansjo lights stationed at approximately 10,12, and 3 o'clock Gary. I did have to move things around a bit but the jansjo light has a flexible neck. The axial lighting I've done has never achieved what I've expected of it.

As for golf.....no. Not a player. 18 is an address and green is a favorite color. 18 of age I last visited 51 years ago.......:)

19. GSDykes

Do you photograph coins quite often? Not 18, well I can still call you a young man, I'm into my seventies. Collecting coins can be very interesting, and it keeps me going. When I pass, I have no idea what will happen to the coins. My wife if she outlives me, will sell, and I have tried to make it easier for her. But I suspect I've got 20 more years, I eat not carbohydrates, and my blood fats look good. As far as axial photography goes, it gives me quick and satisfying results. At times though I will use several lights. Depends upon the coin. Thanks for replying.
    Gary in Washinfgton

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted