Anybody else try out the new Auction house Papillon Numismatics?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

20 years ago I was on a flight back to Ireland to see family (funeral unfortunately).. I was reading the book Papillon on the flight over (had enjoyed the movie of course but picked up the book at a used book store). I did not know when I picked it up that it was an autobiographical novel. Enjoyed it very much.
    A few days after arriving some family brought me to the pub to watch the Grand National horse race (huge event there)- across the road was the local Bookie - so they all stopped in to place their bets first. Knowing nothing about horses (or betting) I put 10 pound down on a horse called "Papillon".. at 10/1.. I knew it was fate as soon as I saw the name on the list. Of course it won and we had an extended stay at the pub!
    Wish I had known about this auction!!! Would have bid just for nostalgia's sake..

Alegandron, Orfew, finny and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Was looking at that NSB Auction... only 3% buyers fee.
    Interesting...

4. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I am bumping this thread up to ask whether anyone who won received a tracking number for their packet or even better received the coins!
    TIA

Ryro likes this.
  5. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Got mine a couple days ago, I was pleasantly surprised how fast they came

Diva Claudia Octavia, AE of Lydia, Sardes
    Diva Claudia Octavia Lydia sardes Mindios strategos.jpg

Faustina II AR Denarius, FECVND AVGVSTAE
    Faustina AR denarius FECVND AVGVSTAE.jpg

No complaints here!

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Same. Mine arrived yesterday and they look as good as the pictures! And the Vespasian (I am able to read enough of the inscription to get a positive identification) is even more emerald green in hand:D
    share5547171061918002048.png

finny, Alegandron, Finn235 and 4 others like this.
  7. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Very nice Vespasian. Mine has a similar, if not the same bust.
    image.jpg

finny, Alegandron, DonnaML and 3 others like this.
  8. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Hi, what shipping service do they use?

9. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

My package was sent via regular tracked post from France.

Ryro and seth77 like this.
  10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

11. Thesymbolteam

Thesymbolteam Member

Hi!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  12. Thesymbolteam

Thesymbolteam Member

NSB auctions

I just bought a few items from them, but I stopped buying after it turned out they were asking for more for mailing than they originally said.
    Also, I found out that the company isn’t even registered at the address they gave on the biddr website.

Address provided: Sir Winston Churchilllaan 297, 2288 DC Rijswijk
    Real address: Schrijnwerkersgaarde 75, 2542TR Hága

After all that, they told me I was the sneaky man. :(

They don't have a website either.
    The company has been registered for 4 months.
    There is no real guarantee of their credibility.
    Contact name not specified.
    Biddr does not guarantee them.

I don’t have enough money to just risk for fun.

13. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

Yes . It seems that the NSB auction is run by the same people as Zeus . I bought many coins from Zeus before and always received them . But there was a few problems with Zeus , such as not recognizing the payment for a long period of time and the lack of communication. The last coin that I won from Zeus was on October 31, 2020 and I still have not paid for it . I have some problems- questions about the check out. I sent tons of emails and have not gotten any response . So I forgot about it . Till today. On January 31, 2021, I won the coin on NSB auction 3 and made the payment on January 31 soon after I received the invoice. As of today , February 4 , my payment was still not accepted . This is the second time I won at this auction. I did win the coin at their previous one on December 31 . And the transaction went smoothly. Today I check the payment for the last coin, I saw the same name that I was dealing with from Zeus .

You may ask why you still bidding on the this kind of places and then complaining . And the answer is simple - I’m not complaining, just sharing the experience and they have a lot good rare coins , that as a collector , are very hard not to pass . I’m not worried about loosing money, as it can always be refunded trough credit card or PayPal.

14. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

This reminds me that papillon seem to have disappeared in the sudden way they popped up in the first place...

15. Greg Sargeant

Greg Sargeant New Member

I am pretty happy with my purchases. Service was fast and efficient. Lower buyer fee and free shipping was a bonus.

16. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

Hey, pprp, were you satisfied with the service from papillon?

17. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

I was, i did business with them in 2020 , i won two coins and they arrived without issue.

tartanhill likes this.
  18. tartanhill

Thanks, BenSi.

BenSi likes this.
  19. tartanhill

Ryro, how would you rate your experiene with Papillon?

20. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

It was a risk that I took that paid off. I have had other experiences with new auction houses that I regret. Not this one. I'll continue purchasing from them... I mean, that is, except for their Macedonian shield coins and RRs! No one should buy those ;)

Roman Collector and tartanhill like this.
  21. tartanhill

Thanks, Ryro. It's good to hear your experience was positive.

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted